right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Friday, April 3 at 3pm ET to hear from admission officers on how COVID-19 is impacting admissions at schools. Due to very high demand we will be streaming the event on our Facebook page. Let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Check out our newest addition to the Student Lounge. Go to the "STUDENT HERE: Ask Me Anything!" and connect with fellow students who can answer your school specific questions!
Cooper Union is rumored to release decisions today (4/1). Share your outcome!
As schools continue to announce their decisions, we put together the Class of 2024 RD Discussions Directory. Connect with fellow applicants NOW!

6 Ways Coronavirus Could Impact College Admissions

CCEdit_SurajCCEdit_Suraj 0 replies66 threads Editor
edited March 18 in College Admissions
Here's how coronavirus is impacting this year's college admissions cycle. https://insights.collegeconfidential.com/6-ways-coronavirus-is-impacting-college-admissions
edited March 18
15 replies
Post edited by CCadmin_Sorin on
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: 6 Ways Coronavirus Could Impact College Admissions

• NJdad07090NJdad07090 261 replies6 threads Junior Member
    I think there will be a fairly high percentage of out of the US students who will not be coming to the US next fall, maybe good news for kids on waitlist but bad news for colleges finance's and 2021-2022 merit aid.
    · Reply · Share
  • Luckyjade2024Luckyjade2024 414 replies4 threads Member
    all great points...decisions are going to be a lot harder and more stressful
    · Reply · Share
  • slngbldslngbld 91 replies12 threads Junior Member
    If this extends into the Fall and classes are still online I suspect a bunch of students may elect to take a gap year until things return to normal. If that happens it could potentially affect the amount of students a college admits for the 2021 HS graduates. I hope it doesn't come to that
    · Reply · Share
  • PetraMCPetraMC 941 replies7 threads Member
    If they aren't keeping an eye on the endowment, well, they should. As much as we all want this recovery to be U shaped, it might be L.

Not sure what that means for FA this year. Maybe it's too early for the AOs to be forced to make that kind of a call. But my hunch is that the schools with the smaller endowments will offer less money.
    · Reply · Share
  • Boomer1964Boomer1964 136 replies5 threads Junior Member
    So far Ohio State has accepted about 5000 more students than they would normally accept. The writing is on the wall. They know that the internationals are not coming and the economic impact the stock and job markets will affect enrollment numbers. By accepting more applicants, they will be able to meet their current goals.
    · Reply · Share
  • Luckyjade2024Luckyjade2024 414 replies4 threads Member
    I'm thinking colleges will accept more...and not worry as much about yield?

If we have a travel ban and this lasts until summer (I sure hope not) then international students will not be able to commit. I'm sure admissions is taking this into account.
    · Reply · Share
  • carlytantancarlytantan 11 replies1 threads New Member
    I'm looking for opportunities for internship or online courses during this season, but due to the coronavirus, many courses are the first-come first-serve basis.

· Reply · Share
  • CupCakeMuffinsCupCakeMuffins 1114 replies107 threads Senior Member
    edited March 23
    Getting in would be easier as colleges will accept more to maintain yield because they know more will decline.

Cost of attendance would go up. EFC would go up, specially bad for full pay families.

More families would go for free or substantial merit or aid rides so colleges giving good aid or bribing students with merit awards would do well.

People would give more attention to college’s endowment size and per student numbers to make sure of college’s financial health.

More families would pick colleges in state or within few hours driving distance.

edited March 23
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 3838 replies70 threads Senior Member
    Tufts just announced they will be test optional for a three year trial, starting this fall with class of 2021

https://admissions.tufts.edu/blogs/inside-admissions/post/tufts-introduces-sat-act-test-optional-admissions-policy/
    · Reply · Share
  • CupCakeMuffinsCupCakeMuffins 1114 replies107 threads Senior Member
    edited March 25
  • jentamjentam 14 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Should give more seats to the students in US.
    · Reply · Share
  • carlytantancarlytantan 11 replies1 threads New Member
    jentam wrote: »
    Should give more seats to the students in US.

Personally, I think it should be distributed for all no matter what the current status is
    · Reply · Share
  • jadams452655jadams452655 2 replies0 threads New Member
    Hello all,

I am a senior in high school and with the mass irregularity which is COVID-19 has on the college process a couple of my friends and myself have offered another way to connect with colleges. We created a website called candor.co that is kicking off and we hope to increase traffic on this site that allows high schoolers to ask questions to college students (new high school and college students are very welcomed).

It is great to see colleges and universities stepping up to meet students in the middle, we just hope that candor.co can be another helpful aid in this process!! Good luck everyone who is making decisions!
    · Reply · Share