right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Should I bring up a controversial extra curricular on my application?

Replies to: Should I bring up a controversial extra curricular on my application?

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus 83438 replies741 threads Senior Member
    @2plustrio No, there is nothing in their website that says if you get a 35 you are automatically in. But you have to consider who the school usually admits. Ole Miss has rejected very very few applicants with 35 ACTs and the very few that they did reject likely had some other flaw.

I am a student with a 4.0 unweighted GPA, 35 ACT, very high SATII scores, 4s and 5s on AP exams and I did this in a rigorous course load. There is absolutely no reason why I should be rejected from a school like ole miss. Yes my Extracurriculars are slightly better than mediocre but still not terrible.

https://catalog.olemiss.edu/admission describes University of Mississippi's admission criteria. Note, however, that there is a section about "Admission of Students Who Are Not Graduates of Regionally Accredited High Schools" that applies to home schooled students.
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 24023 replies2407 threads Super Moderator
    Not interested in arguing. Apply and see what happens.
    · Reply · Share
  • 2plustrio2plustrio 355 replies7 threads Member
    Also, I believe you said you were taking classes at a local college so you may be viewed as a transfer student wherever you apply which has a different set of requirements than a typical incoming freshman may have.
    · Reply · Share
  • Homeschooler14Homeschooler14 147 replies9 threads Junior Member
    @2plustrio Yes I am taking classes locally but I am still not considered "graduated" so I can still apply as a freshman.

But may I ask, are freshmen admissions or transfer admissions usually more selective? Would it benefit me if I get 15 or 30 credits done here and then tried to transfer? Also, does dual enrollment help my resume for freshman admissions?
    · Reply · Share
    It truly depends on the college how they deal with dual enrollment or transfer credits/applicants. At some colleges the transfer acceptance rate may be higher than incoming freshman rates (Vanderbilt perhaps for example). To get your dream job, college choice matters.
    · Reply · Share
    I feel like transferring may be a better option for me because colleges will be taking much less of a risk by accepting me once they see that I have made good grades in a year of college. What do you all think?
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 5362 replies91 threads Senior Member
    Transfers tend to get less financial aid than entering freshman. What can/will your parents pay for college each year?

· Reply · Share
  • suteiki77suteiki77 1232 replies3 threads Senior Member
    Just responding to your original question. I would include the activity. I think it is an interesting topic and I also agree with the advice that you want to present this in a way that isn't about whether your opinion on the topic is right or not but that shines a light on your talents in order to impress AOs. I would not even think about having to sue a college at this point but would focus on getting ready to apply and all that goes with it. Thinking about things that might happen and might not is a distraction you don't need.

As for your last question, I don't know. I would have to know more about you to answer. You might try asking AOs at a school that you think you probably don't want to attend just to see what their response is.

Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • twogirlstwogirls 7765 replies7 threads Senior Member
    edited April 3
    I remember your previous thread.

I think you should mention the activity, apply, and see how it goes. This activity in and of itself will not prevent you from being accepted.

Where will you live? You will be too young to live in the dorms. Will schools allow freshmen to live off campus? Will landlords allow you to rent?
    edited April 3
    · Reply · Share
    @Mwfan1921 I am not eligible for any financial aid. Are schools need aware for transfer?
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 10190 replies119 threads Senior Member
    There is generally less financial aid for transfer students so if that's a concern, I would suggest applying as a regular incoming freshman and not taking college credits after graduation.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 5362 replies91 threads Senior Member
    @Mwfan1921 I am not eligible for any financial aid. Are schools need aware for transfer?

Do you mean your parents' income is so high you wouldn't qualify for need based financial aid?

You might certainly qualify for merit based aid (and there's less of that for transfers as compared to incoming freshman too), and can take out the federal direct student loan if you file FAFSA.

Many schools are need aware for transfers. You need to research each school by looking on their website to see whether they are need blind or need aware for freshman and transfer students, those two policies aren't always the same for both groups.

But you didn't answer my question...what can/will your family pay for college per year?

Regarding your original question, I would include the activity as long as you write about it in a mature manner.
    · Reply · Share
    @twogirls

They would allow me to live in the dorms actually, I have already confirmed this. If they didn't, well I would live off campus. They can't not allow me to live in the dorms and at the same time not allow me to live off campus, I would have no place to live. As I said in previous threads, my parents are quite well endowed and would be able to financially support me living anywhere.

I appreciate your advice, but this information is personal and I would prefer if we left it out of the conversation.
    · Reply · Share
    @Mwfan1921
    I would not qualify for need-based aid at any school.

To answer your other question, My parents would pay for anywhere I want to go but I believe and my parents also believe that it would be a smarter move for me to go to a public school in a lower cost of living area and save some money that can be invested into my future in other ways. I've thought long and hard and I honestly don't see the value of a Private University when compared to a top public education. My parents would certainly pay if I wanted to go to a private school but I believe that I get a better value with a public school.
    · Reply · Share
    I see no reason why this specific activity would prevent you from being accepted.

Since you already researched and confirmed everything, apply and see what happens. If you are not accepted, it will have nothing to do with this particular activity.
    · Reply · Share
    @twogirls What do you think about what poster #2 says? He/she has a point.
    · Reply · Share
    edited April 3
    Authenticity is very important. If this is something that you believe in, then there is no reason not to discuss it.

You want to attend a school that accepts you...for you...yes? Why would you omit something that is so important to you? Would you want to attend a school that isn’t accepting of something you so firmly believe in? If it’s well written and not offensive, I don’t see an issue.

Your young age and maturity level often come across in your responses. That will impact decisions (as might other things).

edited April 3
    · Reply · Share
  • RelicAndTypeRelicAndType 200 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @RelicAndType I spend a lot of time on it.

Really? I read your other threads and you also do trumpet, piano, golf and have a job. And graduated high school in one year. How much time is "a lot" such that you spend it on this organization and take care of your other stuff? You don't have to piece out the hours per week here, but you should be prepared to do so for your applications.

From my vantage point, though, something isn't adding up.

Can we be honest? I think you might be somewhat active, electronically at least, in this organization. I think you did the requisite (and no more than the requisite) to pass Florida's graduation requirements. I think you can probably play trumpet and piano alright, but are no virtuoso. You can't speak any foreign languages. While you are good at calculation, higher-level math is probably not your strong suit to say the least. But you are a natural test taker and you've WHOMPED a bunch of standardized tests.

All of which would be a deal breaker at a T20 private. But that would be okay, since you're applying to schools that are more stats focused in their admissions. Except you're like 15, which is uncharted territory for everyone here. So...you probably aren't going to get good answers, at least not the ones you want.

You've already been advised elsewhere to take an extra year at least. I won't repeat that advice. I'll just say, good luck.
    · Reply · Share
    Most people here have been very helpful, so thank you all and I appreciate your advice.

I will admit that yes, I have come across as rude a few times but I was attacked the first time I ever posted on here. If I offended anyone, I do apologize. I'm not trying to play the victim game but people seem to have a problem with me finishing high school at 15. I was even attacked once in Private Messages.

I did not do all of my classes in a year. I started High School courses one at a time while I was in Middle School and then went full speed right when I finished middle school. The online courses got boring after a while because it became too easy for me. I was not wrong when I said "I can complete in a day the equivalent of a month's public school work in one subject". Not that the online courses were easy, but because I knew the formula to pumping them out extremely quickly. The same applied for the ACT, I learned how to beat the test. I'm really not that booksmart i'm just very clever and good at gaming and manipulating things for my benefit. The online courses were the exact same as regular high school courses in FL, except online. Now I am self studying and doing things much more advanced than regular High School students do. Because of the advice of a poster here, I am now able to do AP courses and do college level work on subjects at home and count them for AP credit guided by a syllabus provided by College Board.
    · Reply · Share
    I hope college is all you want it to be and leads to your dream career. I think its great you are trying to think of how to paint yourself in the best light. However, while you may have been able to manipulate some test scores, acceptance into college is often a bit more subjective which is something that you will struggle with. Nobody has the crystal ball to predict anyone's futures.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity