right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Should I bring up a controversial extra curricular on my application?

Replies to: Should I bring up a controversial extra curricular on my application?

• collegemom3717collegemom3717 8039 replies85 threads Senior Member
    edited April 3
    I'm wondering why you aren't looking at the UK? You have the $$, your scores would get you into most UK unis (other than Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial), you only study the subject you want to study (from another thread, you want just Finance), and in England you would be in & out in 3 years. You would have to have a guardian (for legal purposes, as you would be under 18), but if you don't know anybody there, and your parents don't want to spend term time with you in the UK there is a professional guardian service.
    edited April 3
    · Reply · Share
  • Homeschooler14Homeschooler14 147 replies9 threads Junior Member
    edited April 3
    @collegemom3717 You just said. I would have to have a "guardian" which is against my values and my principles. That would go against my whole life's work. Youth Rights is a fundamental part of my life and something that I very strongly believe in. I was born this way, I can remember questioning age restrictions as early as 4 years old. Plus I'm an American and want to go to an American university and live in America.
    edited April 3
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 8039 replies85 threads Senior Member
    edited April 3
    Fair enough- it just seemed as if there were elements that you would like. The UK system is a lot more independent than the US. Are you an emancipated minor?
    edited April 3
    · Reply · Share
    @collegemom3717 Legally I'm not an emancipated minor but my parents have essentially abdicated their role as my guardian. We live in the same house but they treat me more like a 30 year old living in the basement than a teenager.

I definitely have the means to become an emancipated minor here in FL when I turn 16 in June. However, I won't because I believe it would be wrong of me to run from my oppression leaving the 75 million people under the arbitrary marker of 18 behind. Martin Luther King wouldn't want to magically turn white if he could. We have to all keep fighting as a group to end this. And it will end, I promise you. We are mobilizing people like we never have before. We are actively recruiting young people on the internet and in person. We are determined to ending the oppression of young people.
    · Reply · Share
    @Sue22 Why should I tone down my rhetoric? What I am saying is not remotely offensive nor does it violate the CC terms.
    · Reply · Share
  • RelicAndTypeRelicAndType 200 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Welp, as weird internet ideologies go, I'd say this one at least is preferable to being a 4chan nazi.
    · Reply · Share
    @RelicAndType

Except for the fact that we Advocate for giving people rights rather than revoking rights like nazis. I guess you don't want human rights for young people, just like how nazis didn't want human rights for Jews.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. ..
    · Reply · Share
  • Sue22Sue22 6928 replies121 threads Super Moderator
    @Homeschooler14 wrote:
    @Sue22 Why should I tone down my rhetoric? What I am saying is not remotely offensive nor does it violate the CC terms.

Okay, I'll go there. Are you seriously equating a short-term inability to take on adult rights (without most of the responsibilities, I may add) with Jim Crow laws and lynchings?
    SMH
    · Reply · Share
    @Sue22 No, the situation we face is not as dire as the situation that African Americans faced.

But it is greater than the situation that women faced, not that they didn't face oppression, they did, but not as bad as we face because all of our rights are taken rather than just Voting.
    · Reply · Share
  • Sue22Sue22 6928 replies121 threads Super Moderator
    edited April 3
    Post deleted. Too snarky.
    edited April 3
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 42348 replies2286 threads Super Moderator
    So you want all the rights? How about all the responsibilities, then, such as paying for college?
    · Reply · Share
    edited April 3
    @MaineLonghorn Absolutely! But things would have to change first for us to be able to pay for college. Trust me, we would love to pay for college ourselves and save our parents a good chunk of change.
    edited April 3
    · Reply · Share
  • bgbg4usbgbg4us 1624 replies46 threads Senior Member
    edited April 3
    ok; so if your 16 this summer; you'll be 17 when you start college next year. Is that right? Or are you starting this fall?

tell you what; ageism happens to older people much more than younger people. Stakes are higher then, and there's a much larger spread of years where ageism happens. Want to really help people? work with this; focus on others rather than yourself.

we know you are bright. but being young at college could be very hard on you. What is the point of that?

EG: I have an 18 yr old. He wants nothing to do with my 14 yr old and her (cute) friends. Nothing. I would hate to see that happen to you at college if you were there at age 15/16 and the 18/19 yr olds would just see you as that pesky token smart kid.

and regarding transferring: if you take classes after you graduate from HS; you would be a transfer student. transfer students get BAD scholarship offers for the most part. You could potentially lose freshmen scholarships, which I'd bet you will get at many schools. So, be careful on that. Don't hurry your teenage years. You'll be an adult for 50+ years and it gets old.
    edited April 3
    · Reply · Share
    @suteiki77 Wow, thank you for the write up, I appreciate your kind words.

May I ask where you found the full class of FLVS Algebra I? I was not aware that was made available to the public.

My Elementary School and Middle School years were terrible. It never seemed like education to me, rather a war of teachers vs students. I'm sure things may me different in other areas of the U.S. but I was in Mississippi for Elementary and most of Middle school. I didn't learn a damn thing in a room full of teachers and students yelling at each other. 90% of the time was spent managing behavior, 5% administrative tasks and 5% learning. I had basically no other choice but to do online school if I actually wanted to learn. Everything you are saying I understand and absolutely agree with. Education should absolutely be savored. Which is exactly why I don't want to rush through college. I can't wait until I am able to learn again, without that terrible environment. I had to do what had to be done to get me to the place where I can genuinely and deeply learn. I just want to start with a fresh slate, with k-12 school and "childhood" behind me.
    · Reply · Share
    @bgbg4us Ageism affects young people a lot more than older people.

You all have the money, you can legally drive, you can vote, you can legally drink, you can legally trade the stock market, you can work how many hours you want, you can go to a doctor.

I don't mean to sound rude but please, I don't want to hear it. You are privileged.

I am not your daughter, I am some random guy on the internet, you don't know my personality or who I am alike.

· Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 10025 replies389 threads Senior Member
    I definitely have the means to become an emancipated minor here in FL when I turn 16 in June. However, I won't because I believe it would be wrong of me to run from my oppression leaving the 75 million people under the arbitrary marker of 18 behind.

It would be wrong of you to leave the home of your wealthy parents to get a job and pay your own bills? What's wrong with supporting yourself while fighting for the causes you believe in? That's what adults do. It's easy to have high ideals when someone else is footing the bills.

There's nothing stopping you from paying for college on your own either. Go get a job and commute to the nearest community college or 4 year commuter campus and take classes as you can afford them. A lot of people attend college that way. You don't want that either though, do you? Your parents can afford to send you wherever you want so you'll happily take their money and go.

You seem to want all of the privileges of adulthood and none of the responsibilities. That won't make for a convincing college essay. You have to show, not just tell. An essay about how you should be able to live on your own in Manhattan at 16 because your parents can afford to pay for it won't impress adcoms. You can mention the group in your application, but without anything of substance to back it up I think it will just be another EC.
    · Reply · Share
  • RelicAndTypeRelicAndType 200 replies0 threads Junior Member
    edited April 3
    I don't think (but I could be wrong) that OP was planning on using his youth rights beliefs as a basis for his college essays. And I think (but I could be wrong again) that arguing the merits of those beliefs is somewhat besides the point here.
    edited April 3
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity