right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Polyglot certification

TheJohnboiTheJohnboi 9 replies10 threads Junior Member
I speak 5 languages, with varying levels of fluency (English, about 50% fluent in Spanish and French, and about 30% fluent in German and Latin). Do I need to take standardized tests for these—like if I don’t, will it still be about as beneficial in admissions to elite schools?
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Polyglot certification

• happymomof1happymomof1 30584 replies194 threads Senior Member
    Lots of applicants to elite colleges and universities are multilingual. Your level of fluency is not unique.

That said, it would definitely make sense to take SAT II tests or AP tests for at lease some of these languages because even if your scores don't make a difference at admission time, they could well make a difference once you are enrolled. Depending on the college or university policy and on your specific score on an exam, you might have the foreign language graduation requirement waived and/or get advance placement into higher level classes and/or get course credit.
    · Reply · Share