right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Should I retake my SAT?

AlamereAlamere 65 replies10 threads Junior Member
I got a 1520, but I've seen that my score is below average at some T20 schools. Will I get rejected because of this score or should I focus on other aspects of my application?
8 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Should I retake my SAT?

• popcornboy123popcornboy123 23 replies1 threads Junior Member
    edited April 8
    For me, I originally got a 680 Reading/Writing and 800 Math in the August session, so I just retook the Reading/writing part of it and got a 770. I then superscored it to be a 1570. I guess if you have one lacking part of the SAT it's OK to retake, but generally I think you would be fine.
    edited April 8
    · Reply · Share
  • AlamereAlamere 65 replies10 threads Junior Member
    I got 800 Math 720 EBRW.
    · Reply · Share
  • shmu61shmu61 21 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Maybe for MIT or Caltech because they're more quantitative, but I highly doubt 1520 is "too low" for others
    · Reply · Share
  • AstraAbnormalAstraAbnormal 24 replies0 threads Junior Member
    When you have a 1500+ on the SAT, your score is already in the competitive range. And for many top schools, I assure you that getting a 1520 vs. a 1550 or 1600 is not going to be the reason you will get turned down. You can try to get a higher score, but I personally think it might be more worthwhile trying to focus on other parts of your application.
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you both! I’m going to focus on studying for subject tests if they become available.
    · Reply · Share
  • AstraAbnormalAstraAbnormal 24 replies0 threads Junior Member
    No problem, and definitely focus on studying for subject tests! I sometimes had to retake them because I wasn’t happy with my original scores. I definitely recommend spending a lot of time mastering the content for subject tests and taking lots of practice tests to get used to the format!
    · Reply · Share
  • eldonjacob177eldonjacob177 14 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Taking it a second time, you might improve your scores. As you have more time to study and clear out your mistakes and do more revision on unfamiliar parts of the syllabus.
    All the best!
    · Reply · Share
    I took the SAT twice already. First time I got 1480 (770 Math, 710 EBRW) in August 2019 (Math curve was brutal).
    · Reply · Share