right arrow
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ehales3 is a rising sophomore at Cornell University. As a high school student, she always thought that she wanted to study in a more urban environment, but has grown to love Ithaca and all that it offers. ASK HER ANYTHING!
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

2 Bs freshman year?

anyonmyous123anyonmyous123 2 replies3 threads New Member
edited May 31 in College Admissions
MODERATOR NOTE:
This thread has asked overlapping questions about applying ED to Cornell and Stanford. Threads have been merged.

I got 2 Bs in my first semester of freshman year. However, ever since then, I've gotten straight As in the hardest possible courses. Because of those 2 Bs, my GPA is 3.93/4.

How badly will these 2 Bs affect me in applying to Cornell?

My Stats
Unweighted GPA: 3.97/4.0
SAT: 1570/1600
SAT ll: Math - 780 Physics - 770
APs: 9 APs total, all 5s

Ethnicity: Chinese, but American last name
Not Legacy
Income Bracket: 300k+
Intended Major: Computer Science

Extracurricular Activities

Badminton
4-year member of the varsity team
Ranked top 5 in the nation in boys singles
CCS 3x champion
Monta Vista Varsity 2x Team Captain
International Tournaments representing America

Computer Science
USACO Platinum Rank
A non-profit organization to make programming more accessible in lower-income areas, made over $50,000
Created a very successful non-profit website that connects high schools with kids to get volunteer hours
Created many websites that offer services to people, funded with advertisements/ charged a commission. Made around $50,000.
Had a passion for ECommerce, so coded many websites to dropship products, made up to $60,000 USD from online websites
Attended a competitive summer program called COSMOS

edited May 31
10 replies
Post edited by Lindagaf on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: 2 Bs freshman year?

• anyonmyous123anyonmyous123 2 replies3 threads New Member
    edited April 12
    I am applying to Cornell ED, for undergrad, class of 2025.

unweighted gpa: 3.94 (Got 2 Bs in first semester of freshman year and straight As after)
    weighted gpa: 4.5
    SAT: 1560
    SAT subject tests: 760 Math, 780 Physics

Extracurriculars:
    - Varsity badminton team for all 4 years
    - Varsity badminton team captain for 2 years
    - Ranked #3 in the nation in boys singles for badminton
    - Represented the US in Pan America games through badminton
    - 4 year member of the varsity debate team
    - 2 year team captain of varsity debate
    - started a non profit organization to help lower income kids learn programming (raised over 50k)
    - Own a website that makes over 50k a year

Others:
    -Asian male, live in Bay area
    -No hooks

PS. I'm wondering. Will those 2 Bs in freshman year lower my chances of acceptance? I'm worried that they will be the reason I get rejected.
    edited April 12
    Post edited by CCadmin_Sorin on
    · Reply · Share
  • popcornboy123popcornboy123 23 replies1 threads Junior Member
    edited April 15
    No calm down it won't affect you that much
    edited April 15
    · Reply · Share
  • madammadam 42 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Colleges are less concerned about your GPA than the totality of your transcript. The two B's earned freshman year, if followed by near straight A's in rigorous coursework the following three years, will be viewed as insignificant. But please don't forget that even straight A's and perfect test scores can not elevate an otherwise average application any more than a couple of B's can undermine an exceptional application. Do not worry about those 2 freshman B's!
    · Reply · Share
  • ctynightlightsctynightlights 12 replies9 threads Junior Member
    (take my words with a grain of salt) I think everything's great! According to what I've read, you're at least around or above the 75th percentile for the SAT and your extracurriculars can really make you stand out. I don't think you should worry too much about the Bs because they were in freshman year and you worked towards an upward trend (and achieved it).
    · Reply · Share
  • coffeeat3coffeeat3 95 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I would not be concerned about your 2 B grades - your stats are great and you should feel good about your hard work. Cornell has a successful Badminton team - maybe not a big hook, but is a nice thing for you to have on your application especially if you are interested in continuing and is one way to show how you will be involved in the community. If you want to continue in college, maybe reach out to current team members. I am presuming with your website that is revenue generating and you will be a full pay student. Not factual at this point, but many people within the college community feel that full pay and ED will be an advantage for qualified students.
    · Reply · Share
  • Username8519Username8519 12 replies1 threads New Member
    As others have already stated, you should not worry about the 2 Bs, especially since they were in freshman year. Many admitted students do not have straight As throughout high school. For reference, I was admitted RD this year with 2 Cs and 3 Bs on my transcript.

Frankly, admission to Cornell is extremely competitive, and it is impossible to know whether you will be accepted. However, it certainly appears you have done enough through your extracurriculars to separate yourself from other applicants and give yourself a decent shot at admission. Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • godllubgodllub 12 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Hi! I graduated from cornell last year, and i think you're def a competitive candidate.

My advice would be to make sure to connect what you've done in HS to what you hope to do in the cornell community. For instance, if you're applying to CS in the college of engineering you should def mention teaching low-income kids to code in your major-specific essay.

This is your hook: started a non profit organization to help lower income kids learn programming (raised over 50k)

good luck!

· Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 30730 replies197 threads Senior Member
    If you apply to Cornell and are rejected, it won't be solely because you had 2 Bs in your first semester of high school.
    · Reply · Share
  • International DadInternational Dad 344 replies10 threads Member
    Colleges wants students, no a perfect 4.0 Robot. 😉
    · Reply · Share
  • GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 30509 replies416 threads Forum Champion
    edited May 31

2 B’s are not going to keep from being accepted at Cornell but also understand there are not guarantees in this world. Make sure you have a balanced list of safeties, matches and teach schools so you have options plus do not get fixated on one particular school.
    edited May 31
    Post edited by Lindagaf on
    · Reply · Share