right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ak2018 is a rising junior at Virginia Tech having transferred from George Mason University. He'll answer any question, including about his studies abroad or his research at NASA. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Rejected from ALL Schools, new plan??

Petal12Petal12 42 replies1 threads Junior Member
edited June 22 in College Admissions
I applied to too many schools to admit and got rejected from every single one. Granted, I know what my mistakes were: I spread myself thin by applying to so many and I applied to 0 safety schools. I only applied to schools that offered full tuition since my family is poor. The only safety school I was planning to apply to (UT) I actually missed the deadline.
So here I am. Sad, confused and feeling horrible for thinking any of those schools would even have accepted me. I’m so embarrassed only my immediate family knows, I can’t bring myself to tell anyone. I think my mom is embarrassed too😞
My dream is to travel and go to school for marine science while living in dorms on-campus (I lived in dorms in summers for GT programs when younger and it’s been a desire since). So one option was taking a gap semester; yet again I’m poor.
So now a plan is I’m thinking of applying to UT as a transfer to attend Spring of 2021. Here’s my problem that I’m REALLY hoping I can get some sound advice on:
My high schools grades & recommendations were good. Higher than average for UT. GPA:4.3 & SAT: 1380. Not stellar numbers but higher than average for UT. Acceptance rates are also around 40-50% or so for incoming freshmen.
YET, if I take local college courses at the community college (online I assume), I will automatically be a “transfer “ student applying and ALL my high school hard work will be useless in my application (they don’t use it). I’ll have to get new college recommendations which seems hard since classes will likely be online and not sure how I’ll get to know any professors. And worst of all, acceptance rates for UT transfers is significantly lower...around 20% I think (don’t quote me. I just know it’s lower).
What should I do? I hate that my high school work will be in vain if I take college courses before applying, yet I may be decreasing my chances of getting accepted if they have just a semester or two (summer & fall 2020) of college classes vs. good SAT and high school gpa. Then again, what else can I do until Spring 2021?
Btw, UT offers free tuition which is why I chose that school. I have no financial help.
What should I do??? What’s best to increase chances of getting in? I hate that I didn’t apply earlier 😖
edited June 22
149 replies
Post edited by ccadminkris on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Rejected from ALL Schools, new plan??

• coolguy40coolguy40 2911 replies8 threads Senior Member
    Well...it is what it is. UT is hard to get into...and getting into an employable major is 10 times worse. I'm afraid it's NOT transfer friendly. Even if you got in, there's a high probability you'd be stuck as a liberal arts major. The good degrees are populated by kids chosen in advance as freshmen. They do that to game the system so they can keep graduation rates high.

Right now, I don't think there's much other option than to start at community college. It's a perfect option for low income. You can finish your first two years debt free and then transfer anywhere in Texas...assuming that's where you live.
    · Reply · Share
  • Petal12Petal12 42 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I see what your saying. Yet, why do you suggest I do 2 yrs. at community college then transfer to any school in Texas if you mention UT is hard to get into as a transfer?
    Why wait 2 yrs.?
    · Reply · Share
  • nakorurunakoruru 162 replies1 threads Junior Member
    If I were in your situation, I would consider pursuing a Bachelor of Liberal Arts at Harvard University's Extension School.

https://www.extension.harvard.edu/academics/bachelor-liberal-arts-degree

To begin the admissions process, you simply register for classes. No application required. If you get a B or higher in your first 3 classes there, you are auto-admitted into the degree program.

Also, the cost of the degree is relatively inexpensive. Depending on your field of study, your entire degree program could cost as little as $60K total.

And, you can choose to take most of your classes online. You could even get a head start, beginning your undergraduate education in May during the summer term.

This is a relatively low cost bachelor degree program that requires no application, just demonstrated B or better performance. And in the end you get a diploma from Harvard University.

Just something to think about.
    · Reply · Share
  • Eeyore123Eeyore123 1977 replies25 threads Senior Member
    You are only a transfer at t.u. if you have 24 or more credits. Make sure that you understand how freshman vs transfer impacts any financial aid.
    · Reply · Share
  • CHVRCHESCHVRCHES 152 replies1 threads Junior Member
    They absolutely do look at high school transcripts during the transfer admission process, especially for incoming sophomore transfers. Four years of high school do not disappear once you finish a single semester in college.
    · Reply · Share
    @happymomof1 what do you suggest I do in that “gap year”?
    That’s where I’m stuck. Should I go to CC and erase my high school grades and SAT score that makes me a competitive UT applicant, or just not attend college and apply as incoming Freshman using my HS scores and .....work I guess??
    I don’t know what I should do?
    · Reply · Share
    @NYMom122 one of my dreams is to live the dorm life, make friends and enjoy that campus housing though 😞
    It’s something I’ve looked forward to since I had a taste of the dorm life as a middle-schooler.
    My mom had me young and always has told me she never lived that dorm college life and wants it for me too.
    · Reply · Share
    @itsgettingreal21 what do I do in that gap year?
    Should I take college classes this summer and fall and apply as a transfer for Spring 2021 and erase all my hard work and competitive scores (for UT) from high school?
    · Reply · Share
    @MistySteel27 that school doesn’t offer free tuition like UT does unfortunately.
    · Reply · Share
    @CHVRCHES I wish you were right but I already emailed admissions and if applying as a transfer they do not ask or look at any high school transcript, SAT scores or high school recommendations.
    So yeah applying as a transfer means all my competitive scores (for UT) are trash.
    · Reply · Share
    @PurpleTitan I don’t know if I was “guaranteed “ admittance into UT if applied with my other college applications. But their average SAT scores for incoming freshmen were lower than my 1380 and with my GPA at 4.3 I think I had a good shot. I also had good EC...overall competitive for that university.
    That’s why I’m banging my head at the wall at how stupid I was to miss that deadline.
    · Reply · Share
    @ucbalumnus thanks for the breakdown of options.
    I don’t have other options because I need a university that offers at least some free tuition like UT. I think I had a good chance of getting in considering my scores and rank.
    So #2 isn’t an option.

· Reply · Share