right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Common app or coalition???

SAF132SAF132 3 replies3 threads New Member
Which one should I use? and is there any advantages to each or are they both the same?
7 replies
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Common app or coalition???

• EconPopEconPop 568 replies10 threads Member
    They are both very similar. For the application season just now ending, I would say the biggest advantage for either side is that more institutions participate in the Common App than the Coalition App.

If you plan on using only one, it should probably be Common App for that reason.
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 30584 replies194 threads Senior Member
    Check to see which applications the places you want to apply to are using. You might find out that you need to file both.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 9830 replies110 threads Senior Member
    My D has one school that required the coalition app so she had to do both. The common app was much more user friendly, especially for her recommenders. It was a few cycles though so maybe they‘ve worked out the kinks.
    · Reply · Share
  • Luckyjade2024Luckyjade2024 643 replies9 threads Member
    I preferred the Common app...but some schools are only coalition
    · Reply · Share
  • NYC2018nycNYC2018nyc 364 replies16 threads Member
    My S20 had to do both. One school only took coalition, while all of the others took common app. He wasn't going to give up a school just because it was a different app.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 4938 replies86 threads Senior Member
    Many schools also still have their own app, so check that too.

Common app is more straightforward, so if you can avoid also completing the Coalition app that would make things easier.
    · Reply · Share
  • flamingogirlflamingogirl 27 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Check with your high school counselor to see if there is one they like to work with more. My counsellor for example only uses common app.
    · Reply · Share