right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Foreign Language Requirement

confusedjunior61confusedjunior61 18 replies2 threads Junior Member
I took Spanish I in 8th grade and Spanish II and Spanish III in high school. Does that satisfy my foreign language requirement of 3 units? My counselor said it does but I am very confused.

I now see that some colleges recommend 4 units of foreign language. Does that mean I am not eligible to apply to those colleges?
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Foreign Language Requirement

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus 82767 replies738 threads Senior Member
    edited May 22
    All colleges that say "N years" want to see at least level N (or whatever they deem to be equivalent).

A few colleges also want to see that many years taken in high school, even if you completed level N earlier. If you are unsure whether this applies to a college of interest, check its web site and ask directly if it is not clear.

"Recommend" does not mean that you are ineligible if you do not meet the recommendation. However, its effect on your competitiveness for admission will be affected:
    * Meeting the recommendation is better than
    * Not meeting the recommendation because it was not available to you at your school, which is better than
    * Not meeting the recommendation because you opted out of it even when it was available to you.
    edited May 22
    · Reply · Share