right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

What are my chances at a prestigious university?

aoweekaoweek 2 replies2 threads New Member
edited May 24 in What Are My Chances?
I'm a female African-American junior in high school with a 3.8 unweighted GPA and a 4.6 weighted. I'm a three-season athlete, a published author, and I'm apart of a girl's ministry group for my church. I also work as a camp counselor during the summer, I'm apart of the lgbt+ community, I'm in the NHS chapter at my school and an NSHSS member, and I have about 75 SSL hours. I'm hoping to study something in the field of psychology. Since many colleges are becoming test-optional due to COVID-19, what are my chances at being admitted into a school like USC or UMichigan?
edited May 24
8 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What are my chances at a prestigious university?

• SouthernHopeSouthernHope 2124 replies217 threads Senior Member
    Any SAT or ACT scores yet? Also, are you a rising senior?
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 2590 replies14 threads Senior Member
    Overall, you are in a good position for almost every college out there. However, neither USC nor UMich has gone test optional, and they likely won't, so, as @SouthernHope asks - what are your SAT/ACT scores?
    · Reply · Share
  • aoweekaoweek 2 replies2 threads New Member
    Thank you! And, I haven’t been able to take the real SAT because of COVID-19. Also, USC has recently come out and said they’ve gone test optional
    · Reply · Share
  • aoweekaoweek 2 replies2 threads New Member
    Yes, a rising senior. And because of COVID-19, I haven’t been able to take the actual SAT yet
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 11376 replies152 threads Senior Member
    OP: Your class rank & teacher recs will take on more importance if you do not submit standardized test scores.
    · Reply · Share
  • sgopal2sgopal2 3865 replies52 threads Senior Member
    If your class rank is < top 10% then you have an excellent shot.
    · Reply · Share
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk 2972 replies5 threads Senior Member
    are you applying OOS to UM or instate? That's a big difference as well.
    · Reply · Share
  • coolguy40coolguy40 2910 replies8 threads Senior Member
    Getting into a prestigious school is only one hurdle. The bigger one is finding a way to pay for it. Yes there are some prestigious colleges that give generous need-based aid...but they're a rare exception. The reality is that the tuition bill for these schools is out of range for the vast majority of middle-class people. Should you apply? Sure, you might be one of the lucky ones.

The good news is the professional world doesn't work off of prestige. Job qualifications and credentials build through experience and hard work. It's really a function of major than school name. A computer science degree at a regional state university will get you further than a sociology degree at Georgetown. If you're looking at something in psychology, I'm thinking that you're looking at graduate school too. That means prestige is NOT a factor either, because graduate schools look at grades and GRE scores.
    · Reply · Share