right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ak2018 is a rising junior at Virginia Tech having transferred from George Mason University. He'll answer any question, including about his studies abroad or his research at NASA. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Mentoring programs

theconcernedkidtheconcernedkid 36 replies14 threads Junior Member
edited June 1 in College Admissions
How do mentor programs look on my resume? As a junior, how would it look like if I joined a mentoring program and helped out incoming freshman on how to get adjusted to the school? Is this good for resume? Is it worth my time? Would it look good to colleges?
edited June 1
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Mentoring programs

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 10211 replies119 threads Senior Member
    Don’t do anything in HS just to impress a college. Do what you enjoy and love. It’s the passion that comes through on a well done application, not trying to check off what you think an ad com wants to see.

Any activity that you really connect with is a good activity.
    · Reply · Share
  • rickle1rickle1 2607 replies21 threads Senior Member
    Agree with @momofsenior1 . Do what you enjoy doing. That said, if you enjoy helping others and leading, mentoring is a great activity. S did that his junior and senior yr. Not only did he help a bunch of kids, he benefited from it. It gave him a different voice with the administration, it helped form his "take charge" attitude, and he formed a whole new group of friends. Now a rising college senior, I see those and other attributes in real time frequently.

You'll know it's right for you if it doesn't feel like an obligation, but rather, you genuinely want to help these younger kids navigate their new surroundings.
    · Reply · Share
  • theconcernedkidtheconcernedkid 36 replies14 threads Junior Member
    Thank you rickle1 and momofsenior1!
    · Reply · Share