right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Less APs than Peers? Quarter CC Courses vs. Semester AP

yammie8335yammie8335 17 replies16 threads Junior Member
Hi,

I have 2-3 less AP classes than some of my peers. However, I took 5 dual enrollment courses at my local college to pursue subjects I could not learn in high school. Although these college courses are by quarter, some cover the same material of one semester equivalent of AP classes. An example would be Calc B (College takes one quarter to take, AP class then it's one semester). How would I fare with my peers?

Thanks! :)
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Less APs than Peers? Quarter CC Courses vs. Semester AP

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus 83399 replies741 threads Senior Member
    There are lots of variables here:

* Which college courses?
    * Which AP courses?
    * Which other high school courses?
    * Grades?
    * Which colleges applied to?
    * What intended majors?

The answer as to what is better (for both admission and advanced placement in college) is "it depends" on all of the above.
    · Reply · Share
  • yammie8335yammie8335 17 replies16 threads Junior Member
    edited June 4
    Hi ucbalumnus!

Which college courses:
    1. general psychology
    2. abnormal psychology
    3. clinical psychology
    4. cultural anthropology
    5. differential equations
    6. (microeconomics) parentheses mean senior year

Which AP courses:
    1. AP Calc BC
    2. AP Language and Comp
    (3. AP English Lit)
    (4. AP US Gov)
    (5. AP Stats)

Other HS Courses:
    1. Biology H
    2. Physics H
    3. Pre-Calc H

Grades:
    CC: All A+
    HS: 4.0 UW

Colleges:
    Ivy League + Top Pseudo Ivys + Top UCs

Major:
    Psychology

It would be great if anyone could provide me a general comment of how competitive this would be (my top peers would have 0 CC courses, 8-10 APs total). Thanks :)

edited June 4
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 83399 replies741 threads Senior Member
    yammie8335 wrote: »
    Which college courses:
    1. general psychology
    2. abnormal psychology
    3. clinical psychology
    4. cultural anthropology
    5. differential equations
    6. (microeconomics) parentheses mean senior year

Which AP courses:
    1. AP Calc BC
    2. AP Language and Comp
    (3. AP English Lit)
    (4. AP US Gov)
    (5. AP Stats)

For you college courses, #1 and #6 have AP equivalents, but #2, #3, #4 are not typically found in high school (including AP) courses, and #5 is more advanced than AP level, so (assuming that they are all considered transferable to four year universities), they should look like reasonable and rigorous course selections. How competitive you would be against an AP-loaded applicant from your school could depend on which AP courses the other student chose.

Also, what level of foreign language did you reach, and did you take the usual history, art, and chemistry courses?
    · Reply · Share
  • yammie8335yammie8335 17 replies16 threads Junior Member
    Dear uclalumnus,

My school does not offer #1 and #6 as courses, and though I took both AP tests for them, everyone knows that AP tests are nothing close to actual courses : )

My AP-loaded peers usually have one more core AP (AP science, history), but the rest of the difference comes from easier classes such as computer science and foreign languages.

I took the usual history and art courses (both had no choice except for AP world history), and only honors-level chemistry. As for foreign language, since I received an official 10th grade equivalent diploma from the Korean ministry of education by going to a secondary school (every other day after school), I did not take any foreign languages at my high school.

Thanks again!
    · Reply · Share