right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Effect of being a Sole Author of a Research Publication in a Peer-Reviewed Journal on admissions?

glamwave101glamwave101 0 replies1 threads New Member
edited June 29 in College Admissions
In the next few months I may receive a publication in a Springer peer reviewed science journal. All the work was done independently. Although I never did research for admission boosts, I was wondering how much of an affect this kind of publication would play in college admissions, specifically elite universities?
edited June 29
3 replies
Post edited by MaineLonghorn on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Effect of being a Sole Author of a Research Publication in a Peer-Reviewed Journal on admissions?

• JanieWalkerJanieWalker 670 replies19 threads Member
    Congratulations, that's a wonderful accomplishment, and fairly rare for a high school student. I am guessing it will be looked on quite favorably.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2243 replies36 threads Senior Member
    It will be viewed as a positive extracurricular activity. “How much of an affect(sic)” is impossible to quantify.
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 6883 replies170 threads Senior Member
    You most likely became a better student and learned something valuable.

As a commodity with a specific and quantifiable admissions value?
    Who knows? hopefully that wasn’t the rationale for you.

It certainly won’t hurt you. It’s pretty impressive to me. But more about maturity and discipline.
    · Reply · Share