right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Course difficulty and importance

KarejjiMonstrumKarejjiMonstrum 0 replies1 threads New Member
how will it be viewed by colleges if I go from the lowest math course in my school to ap calculus by my senior year? Will it be affected too much if the rest of my application is where I want it to be
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Course difficulty and importance

• Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 3421 replies77 threads Senior Member
    It depends on the school, and possibly on your intended program as well.

Most applicants to the most selective colleges are going to start in honors or higher, stay at that level, and do well all four years. For engineering programs, you would want to end HS in an AP calculus course (or higher). For most colleges and/or non-engineering/CS, what you are doing is probably just fine.

If you doubled up on a math in order to get to calculus, that helps show you are stretching and challenging yourself, provided, of course, you didn't neglect the other cores in order to do so.
    · Reply · Share