right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Effects of Different Asian Ethnicities in Admissions

yammie8335yammie8335 23 replies18 threads Junior Member
Hi,

I was wondering whether different asian ethnicities (non-international) have different effects to one's admission rates at any college.

I understand that being Southeast Asian (Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Singapore, etc.) works favorably for applicants, clearly being an URM.

However, there seems to be less information about East Asia and India. I believe that currently, applicants that are Chinese or Indian are significantly more abundant than other ethnicities, but other than that, Korea, Japan, Taiwan, and Singapore seems to be less abundant than those listed above.

What are your thoughts on the possible effect this may have for admissions?

Thanks! : )

3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Effects of Different Asian Ethnicities in Admissions

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus 83829 replies743 threads Senior Member
    It depends on the college whether it matters at all -- and if it does matter, colleges generally will not be very transparent about how and how much it matters.
    · Reply · Share
  • yammie8335yammie8335 23 replies18 threads Junior Member
    Hi @ucbalumnus !

I would like to clarify that I was talking about private schools with long histories (e.g. Ivy League and anything similar to that), where admissions have quite factors such as donations, legacy admissions, director's list, athletic recruitment, etc. and may be more sensitive to different ethnicities.
    · Reply · Share
  • onthewestfenceonthewestfence 299 replies9 threads Member
    @yammie8335 Unfortunately, ORM v URM makes a huge difference. If you are lumped into the former group, it lessens your chances getting into elite schools, everything else being equal. After HYPMS, it may actually help. YMMV.
    · Reply · Share