right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

ICE Rescind Policy on International Students Taking Online Courses

CCadmin_SorinCCadmin_Sorin 2826 replies332 threads Community Manager
edited July 15 in College Admissions
Following news that Harvard and MIT have joined forces to sue ICE over threat to remove international students, the Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement have agreed to rescind the policy.

As quoted by The Harvard Crimson, University President Lawrence S. Bacow wrote that he was “delighted” by the withdrawal of the policy.
This is a significant victory. The directive had disrupted all of American higher education,” Bacow wrote. “I have heard from countless international students who said that the July 6 directive had put them at serious risk. These students – our students — can now rest easier and focus on their education, which is all they ever wanted to do.

Is this a step in the right direction? Let us know your thoughts!
edited July 15
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: ICE Rescind Policy on International Students Taking Online Courses

• CU123CU123 3724 replies77 threads Senior Member
    They certainly saved there budget, I guess I'm a bit cynical when it comes to how magnanimous these institutions really are. :confused:
    · Reply · Share
  • gratefulmamagratefulmama 407 replies11 threads Member
    I think it’s great! However, I’m not clear how incoming internationals get through the travel bans. Will they get their visas but be forced to delay entry?
    · Reply · Share
  • vpa2019vpa2019 684 replies18 threads Member
    I think it should have been a compromise: those students that are already in the US can stay but those who are abroad can stay home and take classes from their home country. Especially since the online schools are limiting on campus residency.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 83795 replies743 threads Senior Member
    vpa2019 wrote: »
    I think it should have been a compromise: those students that are already in the US can stay but those who are abroad can stay home and take classes from their home country. Especially since the online schools are limiting on campus residency.

As a practical matter, it is rather likely that many international students not already here will have too much difficulty traveling anyway, so what you are suggesting may end up being the actual result for most.
    · Reply · Share