right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Race/ethnicity

10895441089544 1 replies2 threads New Member
edited July 30 in College Admissions
I am a first generation immigrant, who is from Mexico and identify as/is Mayan and would be considered racially indigenous in Mexico. Recently I found out the US census included Mayans alongside other groups as Native American. Would colleges recognize it if i mark my race as Native American as it is the most accurate option to my understanding.
edited July 30
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Race/ethnicity

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone 25011 replies20 threads Senior Member
    You can check any box you want, and if you identify as NA, go ahead and check it. You may not be eligible for any of the NA scholarships, as some of those are restricted tribes.

Many schools do not give any bump for race or ethnicity.
    · Reply · Share
  • 10895441089544 1 replies2 threads New Member
    Ok thank you, however i am applying to some schools that have affirmative action
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2488 replies42 threads Senior Member
    Going with "Native American - a member of any of the indigenous peoples of North, Central, and South America", I'd say it's fine.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 83929 replies745 threads Senior Member
    edited July 31
    "Native American" can really be two different classifications at some colleges.

* Native American with tribal documentation.
    * Native American without tribal documentation.

Whether and how that matters, and what tribal documentation (if any) the college wants to see, depends on the college.

The US Census definition of "American Indian or Alaska Native" is:

https://www.census.gov/history/pdf/c2010br-10.pdf
    US Census wrote:
    DEFINITION OF AMERICAN INDIAN OR ALASKA NATIVE USED IN THE 2010 CENSUS
    According to OMB, “American Indian or Alaska Native” refers to a person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America) and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment.
    The American Indian and Alaska Native population includes people who marked the “American Indian or Alaska Native” checkbox or reported entries such as Navajo, Blackfeet, Inupiat, Yup’ik, or Central American Indian groups or South American Indian groups.
    edited July 31
    · Reply · Share