right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Yield Protection at T20s

cherry_creme174cherry_creme174 12 replies13 threads Junior Member
edited July 31 in College Admissions
Does anybody know if Georgetown, American, Duke, Cornell, GWU, and Dartmouth practice yield protection? I vaguely remember reading about it with American University, but I'm not sure about GTown, which is my favorite out of the ones I plan on applying to.
edited July 31
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Yield Protection at T20s

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus 83929 replies745 threads Senior Member
    Look up their common data sets, section C7. Whether a college considers "level of applicant's interest" is likely to be closely correlated to the answer to your question.
    · Reply · Share
  • Eeyore123Eeyore123 2089 replies25 threads Senior Member
    For a university to practice yield protection, it requires a significant number of “overqualified” applications. For the 3 undergraduate schools at GTown, it is impossible to be overqualified. For the College, there are many majors that is impossible to be overqualified ( Polly Sci, History, Languages, etc). For some of the areas that are not strengths a GTown, the numbers are not likely meaningful. Also, GTown’s historical application process limits a lot of applications. Note however this is different than being high stats and getting denied because you are unable to articulate why a Jesuit education is right for you.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 83929 replies745 threads Senior Member
    edited July 31
    Indeed, Georgetown says in its CDS that "level of applicant's interest" is "not considered".

But George Washington lists it as "considered", and American lists it as "very important".

Presumably, American does not want to be your last choice "safety" behind Georgetown and George Washington.
    edited July 31
    · Reply · Share