right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Good amount of major-related and non-major related ECs?

p9142qp9142q 6 replies2 threads New Member
edited July 31 in College Admissions
I'm a rising junior from a relatively competitive state in the midwest. I'm somewhat worried that the majority of my ECs are related to my major and that I don't have many other ECs to show multidimensionality. Given that I'm aiming for T10s and that I didn't achieve at the national level in my sophomore year in any of my major-related ECs, I need a sanity check to determine how much I need to accomplish next year (both in major-related and non-major related ECs) in order for T10s to be within reach. I’ve also heard stories of how having only major-related ECs has backfired on applicants in the past. Should my ECs be split 5/5 major-related to non-major related, since the Common App only allows for you to list 10 ECs? Or 6/4? 7/3? Also, what is a good number of hours/week to be spent on ECs? I’m afraid that I was a little lacking in that in my freshman/sophomore years.
edited July 31
10 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Good amount of major-related and non-major related ECs?