right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

If I drop out of one college and apply to another, will they be able to see I dropped out?

TotallyACoolGuyTotallyACoolGuy 2 replies1 threads New Member
Okay so here's the grasp of the straw:

For the 2019-2020 school year I attended a state university. I was only there for 1 semester, took only 2 classes, and had a 0.85 GPA (Didn't fail any of the 2 classes, got a D and a D-). After the first semester, I dropped out. I had a startup that I was working on while at school, and since it was going very well I stopped caring about school since I thought that I would never return.

Since dropping out my startup has been doing very well, but I wanting to return to college to get more business education and because I miss the social aspect. I'm in a new state now, and am looking to apply to some colleges for the 2021-2022 school year.

Given my drop out status and horrid college GPA, I don't want the colleges I apply to to see my past college transcript, let alone know that I've attended another college and didn't just take 2 gap years.

Will the colleges be able to find this out even if I don't report it to them? If so, how much does them knowing this information affect my chances for acceptance? Do they likely have strict GPA requirements? (If it's confirmed that they would be able to find out, then I would report it to them instead of them finding out on their own of course)

Here's some more details that may provide additional context:
* Very good highschool GPA and SAT, both higher than the school averages for the colleges I'm looking to apply to
* Took some college classes in highschool, so if it's the case that they'll only look at average college class GPA instead of just my GPA at my past college then the GPA should be good
* Colleges I'm looking to apply to are all private
* Startup is very successful, 15+ employees and $1m+ profit annually (Perhaps by colleges knowing this is the reason for poor performance at my last college, they'll not care about it?)

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me out :)
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: If I drop out of one college and apply to another, will they be able to see I dropped out?

• skieuropeskieurope 41108 replies7749 threads Super Moderator
    Yes. They will know. The National Student Clearinghouse has that info. So own it and focus on other positive details of your life fir the application.
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 30866 replies198 threads Senior Member
    When you apply for admission, you are obligated to provide official copies of all of your college transcripts. No matter how old. No matter how bad. No matter where you studied in the world. Every transcript. Period.

So send the transcript.

But, honestly, if you are already employing 15 people and have more than $1M in profit each year, what is it that you want to get out of college? How do you plan to fit your classwork around the demands of managing your business? You look like a good candidate for a part-time program. Often it is easier to be admitted as a special student to just take one or two classes at a time. After you have a few of those under your belt, you could ask for admission to a degree program for a specific major.
    · Reply · Share
  • TotallyACoolGuyTotallyACoolGuy 2 replies1 threads New Member
    When you apply for admission, you are obligated to provide official copies of all of your college transcripts. No matter how old. No matter how bad. No matter where you studied in the world. Every transcript. Period.

So send the transcript.

But, honestly, if you are already employing 15 people and have more than $1M in profit each year, what is it that you want to get out of college? How do you plan to fit your classwork around the demands of managing your business? You look like a good candidate for a part-time program. Often it is easier to be admitted as a special student to just take one or two classes at a time. After you have a few of those under your belt, you could ask for admission to a degree program for a specific major.

Thanks for the feedback.

Frankly, my reasoning for wanting to go back to college is pretty much entirely for the social life. Being in a new city, and with my highschool friends living their separate lives now, can get lonely at times. Feels like I'm in a way trading my social life for money, which is not how I want to live. A bit of an early life crisis, haha. A bit uncomfortable and awkward to admit but it's the reality. The college education is an added bonus, but in itself may still be worth it since any applicability would be directly helping my business.

I have a year before I would go to college so I have a good amount of time to get my business in a position where I would be able to step back and have it still be fully operational.

I like the idea of being admitted as a special part time student and then asking for admission, seems like a clever work around. Hopefully I still have time to apply for that this upcoming school year, or 2nd semester or summer classes. I'll look into that, thanks for the suggestion.
    · Reply · Share
  • TotallyACoolGuyTotallyACoolGuy 2 replies1 threads New Member
    skieurope wrote: »
    Yes. They will know. The National Student Clearinghouse has that info. So own it and focus on other positive details of your life fir the application.

Thank you, I will do this
    · Reply · Share