right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Connect with admissions counselors from 50+ schools, get advice for your admissions journey, and more! RSVP NOW for a virtual College Fair on Sept. 29!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

AP Stats vs AP Calculus AB for FSU admissions

MarciBergMarciBerg 0 replies1 threads New Member
For Florida State University--my daughter has been placed into AP Stats for her upcoming senior year. She asked for AP Calc. However, she is applying to colleges as a psychology major (Stats is more useful) and Stats is supposed to be more manageable; BUT she was told my college advisers that FSU (and UF, where she is also applying) really wants to see some form or Calculus). She got all A's in PreCalc Honors last year but her school doesn't offer Calc Honors. FSU and UF both claim they have no preference since they're both AP courses--but any FSU students on here (or parents) who know the real deal (what actually occurs?). Thank you!
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: AP Stats vs AP Calculus AB for FSU admissions

• Erin's DadErin's Dad 34194 replies5038 threads Super Moderator
    https://admissions.fsu.edu/first-year/WWLF/ shows that 57% of admits had calc or higher. While calc is not mandated admission is competitive so it would be in your D's best interest to take it if possible.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 84645 replies752 threads Senior Member
    If she wants to go into research, she may want to take a more in-depth calculus-based statistics course in college. In this case, taking calculus will be helpful.

Note that calculus AB is slower paced compared to calculus in college.
    · Reply · Share
  • MikeInFlMikeInFl 22 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Ap Cal not offered at my daughter's high school. she took AP Stats and I don't think it made a difference. She started FSU in June and fall semester starts in a couple of weeks. No issues in our case whatsoever.
    · Reply · Share