right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Connect with admissions counselors from 50+ schools, get advice for your admissions journey, and more! RSVP NOW for a virtual College Fair on Sept. 29!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

How much do AP scores matter 2020

highsckidhighsckid 24 replies11 threads Junior Member
I received a 3 on both AP physics 1 and AP Lang this year and I was planning on applying as a physics and philosophy major at an Ivy. How much will colleges care?
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How much do AP scores matter 2020

• skieuropeskieurope 41650 replies7991 threads Super Moderator
    edited August 4
    About as much as they cared in 2019. Which was not much

You may not get credit, but it won't be the reason you are rejected.
    edited August 4
    · Reply · Share
  • highsckidhighsckid 24 replies11 threads Junior Member
    @skieurope Even if it's MIT or something? Wouldn't it reflect pretty badly seeing that you got a bad score for a field you want to major in?
    · Reply · Share
    edited August 4
    highsckid wrote: »
    @skieurope Even if it's MIT or something? Wouldn't it reflect pretty badly seeing that you got a bad score for a field you want to major in?

Why are you challenging my answer? It is what it is. Are you really wanting people to tell you that you're screwed. :wink:

I have expressed many times on this site my disdain for AP Physics 1. Getting a 3 on that exam is actually an accomplishment considering 60% fail the exam. Now I'm sure you know that AP Physics 1 is worthless at MIT. Now if you told me you got a 3 in Physics C or Calc BC. I might suggest that MIT is not the place for you.

Regardless MUT says right on their website that they do not consider AP scores in admissions. And that us not new with the pandemic.
    https://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/on_aps_1/

They are not lying. So no reason to disbelieve them.
    edited August 4
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2808 replies48 threads Senior Member
    Most schools weigh AP scores somewhere between just a little and none. MIT appears to be in the none camp. Others schools may look at them, but no schools I’ve talked to considers them important (with the odd exception of NYU if you submit three APs instead of SAT/ACT, and if you’re homeschooled).

The simple answer is that you shouldn’t submit those scores with your applications to Ivy and equivalent. They’ll either ignore them or they will be below average of other applicants so a slight negative to your application. So there’s no reason to submit them.
    · Reply · Share
    @RichInPitt I got 5s on all the other exams. Would it look bad if I did submit those good scores?
    · Reply · Share
    highsckid wrote: »
    @RichInPitt I got 5s on all the other exams. Would it look bad if I did submit those good scores?

No. It's fine. And it's what most applicants do
    · Reply · Share
  • PikachuRocks15PikachuRocks15 494 replies2 threads Member
    I'm an incoming First-Year at Brown who didn't submit a 3 on an AP test because I had received an A in the class. Colleges didn't really seem to care, as it's only ONE test out of ALL of the tests that you are taking.

After academics (which allow the college to confirm that you can handle the coursework,) colleges focus on the rest of your application (essays, interview, letters of recommendation etc,) so make sure that every word counts!

Hope this helps! Good luck with admissions!
    · Reply · Share
    Just gonna bring this up again-- I still feel a bit wary about my AP Physics score. Not sure how I did so poorly, but is there any way I can show them that I am good a physics (other than taking a standardized test)?
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2808 replies48 threads Senior Member
    Doing well/getting an A in a Physics class in school, and having that on your transcript, is the best way to show a college you know Physics. It is much more meaningful than an AP score.

Or medaling at the IPhO.
    · Reply · Share