right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Has COVID spoiled your campus visit plans? Meet with 50+ schools at our virtual college fair College Fair tomorrow, Sept. 29! Register NOW!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

EC Guidance

widbalqhsjwqkbswidbalqhsjwqkbs 0 replies1 threads New Member
Hi! I was wondering if I could get some guidance on where the best direction is to take my extracurricular activities, given my college hopes. I don't have a complete college list yet, but I know that I intend on applying to a few top-tier schools. For reference, I'm adding my general academic profile as well.

- Likely Majors: CS and Economics
- Likely GPA when applying: 4.0 UW, 4.5 or higher W (i know it'll be very high but there are many different scales)
- APs: I should have over 17 by senior year, almost all 5s, a couple self-studied
- All classes that aren't APs are honors
- ACT: 36
- Probably top 10% of class, but I'm in an extremely advanced school program
- Demographics: White (and middle eastern, if that's an option), from CA, public school, applying for financial aid
- SAT Subject tests: 800 on Biology, and probably 800 or close to that on Hebrew, Physics, Chemistry, and Math II (i haven't taken them yet bc of covid)
- 3 years of Spanish
- math including AP calculus AB, BC, and AP Statistics

--> should I do dual enrollment? idk if my APs sort of make up for that but I'd definitely be down

NOTE: in order to be eligible for the school program I'm in, I ended up having to transfer schools in the middle of freshman year, preventing me from joining most of the clubs I wanted to that year.

ACTIVITIES:
**things that I will most likely list:**
- Science Olympiad (through school): since 9th grade (idk if it counts since I was only able to join at the very end of the year and i missed the season)
- FRC Robotics Team (through school): Since 10th grade
- CyberPatriot Cybersecurity competition (through school): since 10th grade
- Hack Club: a club I'm founding at my school in 11th grade to help get students into programming and to build more of a tech community
- TKS: a highly selective (3% or something) program for tech and entrepreneurship, starting in 11th grade

**things that I may or may not list depending on how they turn out:**
- CTFs: a kind of cybersecurity/hacking competition occurring many times a year that I could probably get good at and win awards in but it would take a lot of time
- Hackathons: tech/innovation challenges much like CTFs that I could probably win awards in but it would take a lot of time, probably couldn't do both that and CTFs, I'd probably prefer to do hackathons if i had to choose one but either is fine and I'd choose CTFs if i knew they were better given I also do another cybersecurity competition (CyberPatriot)
- Tutoring organization: I'm trying to start an organization with some friends to give elementary and middle school students support in remote learning
- indie app dev - I like to make mobile apps and I might end up publishing some
- development work - I'm an exec at an company founded by a few friends of mine, but I didn't found it so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (I don't know if there is any way for this to develop into something useful)

**things I probably won't list bc they're not competitive but honestly idk:**
- baseball 9th grade
- Climbing Club - started a club at my school in 10th grade just for fun, i guess it's not academically competitive
- Piano: I've been playing for the past 5 years but I've never really done competitions and I feel like it's too late to start
- Parkour: I spend a lot of time doing this one the side but there isn't really a way to measure achievement since there aren't really competitions
- tutoring: every week i tutor elementary school kids for their science olympiad competition
- more tutoring: I currently volunteer to tutor disadvantaged younger students who need academic help through a separate organization

AWARDS:
- National AP Scholar
- Various Science Olympiad medals (idk if I can list these as one award because they don't have much meaning individually, but I already have a few and could end up with close to 10 from various events in various competitions)
- most likely national merit semifinalist, possibly further
- CyberPatriot national semifinalist (top ~7% of over 10,000 students), likely to happen again (again, can i count this as just one award or multiple if i get it twice?)
- Honor roll all 4 years
- I feel like i need more AAAHHHHH

---> I don't actually know if awards and activities are separate parts of the application, so if anyone could help with that question it would be great!

- one of the biggest things I'm thinking about is if I should quit one of the school clubs/teams I'm in, since I'll only be able to display one or two full comp seasons due to both covid and the fact that I transferred, to focus more on other ECs.

- As you can probably glean, I have a ton of interests. Given that, I would be happy to dive into another thing if it would somehow boost my profile - I could probably do decently on the Physics Olympiad, Linguistics Olympiad, or Computing olympiad if I wanted to but that would definitely mean giving up a ton of stuff.

- I mostly just would like to see if anyone has any input on which ECs I should devote the most time to and which I should cut out to optimize my profile, because I know that everything's pretty all over the place right now. Should I do the things that'll get me the most awards? Should I make sure to stick with the clubs i've been in for the longest because it's important to show commitment? Should I put a lot of time into the tutoring organization I'm trying to create because that could be really valuable? Or should I just relax because my grades and scores will go very far? I just don't know what to focus on.
0 replies
· Reply · Share