right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Connect with admissions counselors from 50+ schools, get advice for your admissions journey, and more! RSVP NOW for a virtual College Fair on Sept. 29!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Will a B my Junior Year hurt my chances?

notexactlynotexactly 4 replies7 threads New Member
I'm currently a rising senior (will graduate in 2021), and I got a B this past semester in AP Calculus BC. (It's not a B+, either; just a B.) I intend to major in English and Political Science during college (most of my extracurriculars and activities are English/Poly-Sci oriented), and I got a 5 on the AP test for Calculus BC.
I'm trying to determine how much of an impact this B will have on my chances at gaining admission this school year (I'm currently hoping to gain admission into Tufts, Emory, and BU, with reach schools of Yale and Stanford). I've gotten straight As other than the above B, and my extracurriculars aren't terrible (I've gotten some national/international recognition, but haven't started a nonprofit org or anything), but I know that seeing a dip in the grades junior year, especially in a core class, isn't great in the eyes of AOs. Any insight on how much of an impact this B will have on my chances would be great; thanks so much in advance.
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Will a B my Junior Year hurt my chances?

• Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 3734 replies90 threads Senior Member
    Relax. If you don't get in, it won't be because of one B. Especially not one in what is considered a very rigorous class. You're fine. 🙂
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2jgdmom2jgd 113 replies0 threads Junior Member
    You're more than fine, especially with the 5 on the BC exam as a junior. And hopefully you have a realistic sense of the likelihood of Yale or Stanford anyway -- plenty of straight-A students are rejected every year. It's a long shot for everyone, even an extraordinary student like you.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2808 replies48 threads Senior Member
    edited August 13
    notexactly wrote: »
    Any insight on how much of an impact this B will have on my chances would be great;

Approximately the limit of 4x^3 as x approaches zero(+).

Your chances of getting in are probably similar to other students - low to mid single digit percentages, and one B probably won’t change those probabilities out to a couple decimal points.
    edited August 13
    · Reply · Share