right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Spain? Italy? Hawaii? Where do you want to travel WHILE getting college credit? REGISTER NOW for a virtual College Fair on Sept. 29!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

One bad grade in midyear report?

RafizXDRafizXD 29 replies11 threads Junior Member
edited September 16 in College Admissions
Hey guys.
So in 9th-11th grade I have had all straight A's and especially high marks in Maths classes, usually 96+. My junior mark was 99 on average in maths.
Now, I'm applying this year and my list includes many top colleges.
So in the transcript they'll see 9th-11th grade marks.
Now, in 12th grade, in my mid term exams, I expect A' s in all subjects....except pure mathematics. I might get a B or maybe even a C if things go wrong.
I got 1520 SAT and I intend to take SAT 2 in October including Math 2 which I expect to score close to 800. if Oct gets cancelled then november.
But let's assume SAT 2 doesn't occur.
So how much will this one bad grade affect my chances in the regular round?(In early round they won't get to see it).
edited September 16
9 replies
Post edited by skieurope on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: One bad grade in midyear report?

• Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 3743 replies91 threads Senior Member
    Getting one or two B's won't be what keeps you from getting into any college, even top ones.

A C won't look as good. Work as hard as you can to avoid that. It won't sink you at most colleges, but it will be a stain on an otherwise strong transcript.
    · Reply · Share
  • BKSquaredBKSquared 1772 replies8 threads Senior Member
    Are you sure that the colleges you are interested in require/recommend or even accept SAT2's this year?

Spend your time/energy getting your math grade up to avoid a C. A "B" won't doom you. Assume you will get deferred and that you have to go through RD at a number of schools.
    · Reply · Share
  • RafizXDRafizXD 29 replies11 threads Junior Member
    @BKSquared most of these colleges required it the prev year, so may be better to take em this year. Plus I'm scoring well without much study really.
    Also, in light of this, wouldn't a good SAT MAth 2 score help covered for a bad school math score.
    · Reply · Share
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 6828 replies2 threads Senior Member
    edited September 16
    "except pure mathematics"

What is "pure mathematics"? I was a math major so hopefully I will know what you are talking about.

I am wondering if you should get some help, such as a tutor to improve your math grade. It is still early in the semester.

There will be harder classes when you get to university. Learning how to deal with a hard class now could in fact be a blessing.
    edited September 16
    · Reply · Share
    Check the admissions requirements for this year for all your schools. Some are even saying that they will not take SAT2's. Schools that have historically required or recommended the SAT2 also required/recommended 2 subjects. Showing just 1 score may raise more questions than it answers. What was your math subscore on the SAT?
    · Reply · Share
  • RafizXDRafizXD 29 replies11 threads Junior Member
    @BKSquared oh no, I will be taking biology M and chemistry as well. SAT MATH was 760 but that was 11th grade.
    @DadTwoGirls I guess the American equivalent would be combination of algebra, trigononetry and calculus.
    · Reply · Share
    I'd rethink taking 3 tests. Very few schools required more than 2 preCovid. Taking tests still require some time for preparation which might be better spent on other things. But it really is a cost/benefit analysis, with the benefits being less post-Covid.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2827 replies48 threads Senior Member
    If you’ve already been prepping, and will receive a high score (800 or very close for top schools), then go ahead and take the Math2. If neither of those is the case, it may not be worth it.

Either way, no, a Subject Test doesn’t ‘cover for’ a class grade.
    · Reply · Share
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 6828 replies2 threads Senior Member
    "combination of algebra, trigononetry and calculus."

Get a tutor. Make sure that you understand the concepts. You will need to learn techniques and formulae, but make sure that you also get the concepts down solidly.
    · Reply · Share