right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

In an exclusive AMA for College Confidential, Gaelle Pierre-Louis, a former college admissions officer, reveals surprising insights on the elite college application process. ASK HER ANYTHING!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, and Student Voices - vol. 3 eBooks NOW!

Is only two clubs in school okay?

March9thMarch9th 3 replies2 threads New Member
I have been developing my ecs, and was going to join mock trial. However, there is little to no chance of me advancing to a leadership position, and the team isn't very good so I won't get awards. The time commitment is upwards of 3 hours a week. I already do debate and MUN, where I have a good chance of awards/leadership positions. I have a nonprofit that relates to my current clubs, and will have multiple political and legal internships come applications. Will being a participant help with apps? Will only being involved in 2 clubs in school hurt my chances?
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Is only two clubs in school okay?

• DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 6903 replies2 threads Senior Member
    edited September 23
    "I already do debate and MUN"
    "I have a nonprofit"
    "will have multiple ... internships"

That is plenty. This is a case where the longest list of ECs does not win. The moderate list of ECs that are done very well wins.

Being involved in only 2 clubs is fine. I do not think that you should make any effort to lengthen your list of ECs. Do the ones that you want to do, and to them well.
    edited September 23
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 8007 replies39 threads Senior Member
    2 clubs for 2-4 years is great. Leadership you say... Don't you help out the Freshman or anyone else?Isn't that leadership qualities?
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 3050 replies14 threads Senior Member
    Colleges are looking for leadership, NOT "leader positions".

The also don't just want leaders. They want people who are good at pulling their weight in a team, people who know where an extra bit of help is needed, people who are always willing to lend a helping hand, the person on the team who sees where there is an a potential issue which needs addressing, the editor, the person who always knows everybody, the person who is the "glue" of a social circle. A class full of leaders, even real leaders, is a recipe for disaster.

Moreover, "demonstrating leadership" does not mean the same as "being a leader". The first one to volunteer, the person who reaches out to the new kid, etc. They aren't always leaders, but they demonstrate leadership.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 35855 replies404 threads Senior Member
    Well, are you still thinking T25?

Some of what you've done looks good. But fretting over whether or not you get a "leader title" or award hints you may not have a full idea of what it really takes. And remember, they like commitment, depth, *and* breadth.
    · Reply · Share