right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

In an exclusive AMA for College Confidential, Gaelle Pierre-Louis, a former college admissions officer, reveals surprising insights on the elite college application process. ASK HER ANYTHING!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, and Student Voices - vol. 3 eBooks NOW!

What list books are Davidson college expected

MostafaKhaled010MostafaKhaled010 3 replies4 threads New Member
edited September 24 in Davidson College
In the application of Davidson college I found that they are asking for books list with all the books we read over the past year. I want to know what are they expecting from this books list . For example, should this books related to things I learn outside school as programming or it should be a list for the things I do for fun as reading science fiction books? And since they want well rounded students do they want students who read books from a lot of different categories or it is ok if all the books I read is related to 2 or 3 topics only?
edited September 24
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What list books are Davidson college expected

• helpingmom40helpingmom40 488 replies10 threads Member
    Don’t try and figure out what they “want”. They asked a question about what books you read so you should honestly list the books you read (not textbooks from a class). You provide the list, they interpret your list however they are looking to use it. Whether they are looking for someone with varied interests or someone with deep interest in one or two areas isn’t your concern and trying to make a list you think they want may backfire.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2955 replies48 threads Senior Member
    What are they expecting from the book list?

They are expecting a list of books that you have read over the past year.
    · Reply · Share
  • MostafaKhaled010MostafaKhaled010 3 replies4 threads New Member
    Of course I won't try to make a list of what I think they want. I want only to know what they are expecting to determine if it will be suitable for me to apply or not
    · Reply · Share
  • ChaosParent23ChaosParent23 795 replies47 threads Member
    That's certainly a very different way of choosing a college. Do you like the school, or not? And is it affordable or not? That's how you should determine whether to apply.
    · Reply · Share
  • MostafaKhaled010MostafaKhaled010 3 replies4 threads New Member
    I love the college . But if this question will affect my chances of being admitted I will have to choose another one
    · Reply · Share
  • helpingmom40helpingmom40 488 replies10 threads Member
    edited September 26
    Every question has the potential to affect your chances of being admitted at ANY college. That is why they ask them. The fact that they are asking the question should have no bearing on whether you apply there.
    edited September 26
    · Reply · Share
  • AlmostThere2018AlmostThere2018 2189 replies66 threads Senior Member
    edited October 6
    We heard a Davidson AO talk about the list at a session several years ago. He said it's another way to get to know applicants. He said there's no 'right' list. Some lists are quite narrowly focused on a student's niche interests while others are more broad. Either is fine. When my D applied in 2018 she was supposed to indicate if it was a book she read for school but she did include them.

There's no way to overthink this one -- just write up you list! :)

Hope this helps and good luck!
    edited October 6
    · Reply · Share