right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

Send SAT scores in advance of application submission?

petilonpetilon 2 replies11 threads New Member
edited October 16 in College Admissions
You might think in year 2020 CollegeBoard would have a way of sending SAT scores to colleges electronically. Such as a web service for colleges to pull data. But no, they send SAT scores via snail mail. They have two options: $12 for regular snail mail, or $31 for rush order.

My question is, can I send the SAT score to colleges a few weeks before I am ready to submit my common/coalition app to the college?

I am worried that until I submit the application the college may not have an "account" open for me, so they don't know who I am, so they will simply discard the snail mail they get from CollegeBoard. If so is it better to wait till I submit my application then send the SAT score?
edited October 16
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Send SAT scores in advance of application submission?

• skieuropeskieurope 42011 replies8241 threads Super Moderator
    edited October 16
    Yes. You can send scores before the application. It is very common.

A couple of other things. They do send scores electronically. They only snail mail when the college can't receive electronically.

And many colleges allow self reporting. So don't spend the money unless the college requires a score report with the application.
    edited October 16
    · Reply · Share
  • BKSquaredBKSquared 1809 replies9 threads Senior Member
    First check to see if the school even requires an official score report or if they only require a self reported score with confirmation upon acceptance. I would not send a score report until after you submitted your application. Most schools allow you to track what has been submitted once they have opened up an official application file for you.
    · Reply · Share