right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

In an exclusive AMA for College Confidential, Gaelle Pierre-Louis, a former college admissions officer, reveals surprising insights on the elite college application process. ASK HER ANYTHING!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, and Student Voices - vol. 3 eBooks NOW!

Can you pay academic deposit and not attend?

virgosunvirgosun 48 replies11 threads Junior Member
I was in an info session for a college and the dean of the honors college suggested that we pay the academic deposit (even if we end up not attending) so we can then pay the housing deposit and secure a good dorm. He emphasized that you can do this even if you aren't sure you will attend, and if you don't attend you can get the deposit back. Is this allowed? It seems like it could jeopardize your spots at other colleges, but I'm not sure.
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Can you pay academic deposit and not attend?

• skieuropeskieurope 41945 replies8185 threads Super Moderator
    if you don't attend you can get the deposit back.

This may be specific to that college, but usually, you lose the deposit if you back out. And yes, it's allowed. It's often used by students who are on a wait list elsewhere.
    · Reply · Share
  • Eeyore123Eeyore123 2214 replies25 threads Senior Member
    But I think that ethics say that you shouldn’t have more than one deposit in effect at a time.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2977 replies48 threads Senior Member
    Getting a deposit back would be out of the ordinary, but these aren’t ordinary times and schools are being aggressive.

I’d be sure to get it in writing before going down that path.
    · Reply · Share
  • virgosunvirgosun 48 replies11 threads Junior Member
    @RichInPitt @Eeyore123 @skieurope thank you for the info! I wasn't really considering doing it, and if I did I wasn't really worried about getting the deposit back, but I was just wondering about if it was ethical/allowed.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2977 replies48 threads Senior Member
    Yes, people back out regularly. And even with no refund, you can certainly pay and not attend - they can’t force you to enroll.
    · Reply · Share