right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

College Board's "Landscape" feature

Chantal3Chantal3 8 replies1 threads New Member
Anyone know the extent to which this is used by colleges at this point? The "Landscape" feature that places the student in a context in terms of the high school, neighborhood that the student lives in, etc?

3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: College Board's "Landscape" feature

• Chantal3Chantal3 8 replies1 threads New Member
    Also, does anyone know if there is way that a student or parent could see the "Landscape" feature for their student?
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 3214 replies53 threads Senior Member
    edited November 21
    IMHO, it’s not data they didn’t have and were already using, at least for most schools. Looking at a student in context isn’t exactly a breakthrough for admissions officers. Someone asked about it at a multi-school admissions event I attended last fall - the representatives had all been involved in the pilot and pretty much said the same. So it’s out there, but usage is unknown.

Seems to me it’s about as much a game changer as ACT actually doing the superscore calculation for them....

In August 2019, they said “Starting next year, counselors, students and parents with College Board account, will be able to access the same information about their high school and neighborhood that colleges will see in Landscape.”

I haven’t seen it and I’m not holding my breath waiting.
    edited November 21
    · Reply · Share
  • inthegardeninthegarden 1958 replies33 threads Senior Member
    edited November 21
    I hear opposite things simultaneously: that this year, schools will admit more heavily than before from high-stats, competitive feeder-schools with known reputations and outcomes for success; and that schools will evaluate students from the context of their high schools and communities, identify grit and character, and not penalize students from lower SES areas.

Time will tell.

I’m not familiar with the landscape feature, and would like to know more.
    edited November 21
    · Reply · Share