right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

SAT for engineering

Orlando007Orlando007 5 replies3 threads New Member
My son got an 800 sat math and 650 english. Do you think he should try sat again or focus on EC to get into top engineering schools
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: SAT for engineering

• RichInPittRichInPitt 3214 replies53 threads Senior Member
    It somewhat depends on which “top engineering schools” he’s targeting. Ideally, you’d like to be above the mid-point of the 25th and 75th percentiles found on the CDS. EBRW isn’t as crucial as Math, but it certainly isn’t ignored. When you have more M800s than slots, you turn to the other data points.

While 800 obviously will meet the bar, MIT, for example, has an EBRW 25th percentile of 720, so an improvement would certainly help an MIT application.

My spreadsheets are at home, but I suspect this would be similar for the truly “top” (4-6] schools.

EDIT: a quick glance at CMU, Cornell, Michigan confirms the above.

Hopefully SAT prep and EC participation aren’t mutually exclusive.
    · Reply · Share