right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

How will college admissions deal with test scores this year?

johnwick900johnwick900 5 replies9 threads New Member
I know that every application is different in so many ways, but there are a lot of applications, so there are bound to be applications that are quite similar. If a college sees two apps that are basically the same, and one has a good test score and the other has none, how will the college view the apps? In situations like this, half the time will they go out of their way to admit people who didn't send in a score to make themselves look more fair? After all, they did say that people who don't send in scores won't be at a disadvantage.
ps i'm sending in my score. I was just wondering.
6 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How will college admissions deal with test scores this year?

• RichInPittRichInPitt 3214 replies53 threads Senior Member
    edited November 22
    This question has been kicked around a few time, with varying opinions. While they say a lack of testing won't hurt you, I have to believe that is there are two extremely similar candidates at a school with an average SAT score of 1400, one with a 1520 and one with no score - the one with the high score will be favored.

Which obviously raises the question - if I'm not penalized for no testing, but others are rewarded for high test scores that I didn't have the opportunity to earn, am I actually not penalized, relatively. Not penalized seems to mean not automatically tossed for an incomplete application.

On the other extreme, a student who would have only scored 1200, or actually did score 1200 and can choose not to submit, is advantaged by the situation.

Unfortunately, it's a lousy situation with no good answer. I suspect the schools are trying to figure that out too, as they deal with the first batch of early applicants.
    edited November 22
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 31063 replies199 threads Senior Member
    @johnwick900 - The only way to know the answer to that question, is to ask the admissions offices themselves. So send your scores, or don't send your scores, as you see fit, and just stop worrying about it.
    · Reply · Share
  • ArtsyKidDadArtsyKidDad 254 replies23 threads Junior Member
  • socaldad2002socaldad2002 2643 replies35 threads Senior Member
    edited November 22
    Rest assured, most colleges will be accepting roughly half their students that have high test scores to keep their SAT/ACT average ranges high for matriculating students.

One reason colleges said “no test” won’t hurt you is they want the maximum number of applications possible so they have a bigger pool to choose from. If they came right out and said, yes you are probably going to be at a disadvantage is you don’t submit a test, many students just wouldn’t apply which would limit the number of applications and conversely drive up their acceptance rates which would make college seem less selective this year.

And while I think the initial adcom reviewers won’t be biased against “no test” applicants, the directors of admissions who are making the final decisions need to shape a class and that includes taking x percentage of applicants who have high tests scores to keep their averages up.

Believe me, the choosing of a class is not random and they go to great lengths to create a class to meet their institutional needs, which includes accepting high stat students and maintaining low acceptance rates for the most selective colleges.

Lastly, the only way “no test” doesn’t hurt you is if the colleges decided that they will not accept ANY tests this admissions cycle, not many took this route. Ask yourself why?
    edited November 22
    · Reply · Share
  • nucitiesnucities 29 replies3 threads Junior Member
    It’s just an opinion but I feel no college should have elected to be “test blind”. Given the pandemic it was completely reasonable to say that they were test optional. I think that would have been both honest and as fair as could be practically assumed. Schools claiming they were “test blind” within weeks or even days of accepting applications was a disservice to every kid who worked at, studied for, and ultimately took those tests.
    · Reply · Share
  • parentologistparentologist 388 replies41 threads Member
    After the superhuman effort that it took to get my kid a seat for an ACT this fall (his only chance at any test, just like most of the high school class of 2021), I really feel that all schools should have gone test BLIND. My kid did incredibly well on that one test, but the only reason he GOT that one shot was that he had a parent who spent scores of hours, and networked online, and basically moved heaven and earth to get that testing seat. Yes, his school then arranged a testing date on a school day so that ALL the seniors could take the SAT, but I kind of doubt that all the schools in the country also did that. I doubt that most inner-city/children of immigrants/children of non-college educated applicants had the opportunity to take a standardized test.

Yet, when my kid submits his stellar test score, there is no way that the schools won't be influenced to take him, rather than a student with similar qualifications who doesn't submit a standardized score. Yet there were some students who just didn't have the opportunity to take one. All schools should have gone test blind.
    · Reply · Share