Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Applications and Academic honors

amismartenoughamismartenough Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
edited October 2006 in College Admissions
Hey everyone! I'm a senior now and i'm starting to appy for colleges. On the applications, it asks to list any academic honors, but i don't have any national recognized ones. I was wondering if i could put AP scholar because i qualify for that from last year, but i'm still taking ap's this year. Thanks for any input!
Post edited by amismartenough on

Replies to: Applications and Academic honors

• letmepassletmepass Registered User Posts: 381 Member
    does anyone know when ap awards certificates will arrive?
  • JoyceleneJoycelene Registered User Posts: 266 Junior Member
    I asked that back when AP scores were being sent out and people told me that they should come in September... they should be coming any day now, I guess (and hope)!
  • theoneotheoneo Registered User Posts: 6,934 Senior Member
    I got mine two days ago.
  • Tonyt88Tonyt88 Registered User Posts: 2,177 Senior Member
    He's from the great state of NJ, thus the great location description :D
  • amismartenoughamismartenough Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
    cool...i guess i should be expecting mine soon. thanks!
  • SkieSkie Registered User Posts: 497 Member
    How does a student get to be an AP Scholar?
  • palermopalermo Registered User Posts: 351 Member
    amismartenough: My daughter just included AP Scholar (expected) on her EA applications and will exclude the "(expected)" once she actually gets confirmation.
  • NorthstarmomNorthstarmom Registered User Posts: 24,853 Senior Member
    As far as I'm concerned, if you know that you qualify for an AP scholar award, you can put it on your application even if you haven't yet gotten the certificate. I also suggest listing the scores that qualified you.

The same is true for National Merit Commended. Many schools don't award the certificates until the end of the year, but if you know that you were in then top 50,000 PSAT scorers in the country and didn't qualify as a National Merit semi finalist, that automatically means you are National Merit Commended -- whether or not you've gotten the certificate yet.
  • celestial605celestial605 Registered User Posts: 1,087 Senior Member
    To the OP: You don't have to have nationally recognized awards. I had things like 1st place in Rocks and Minerals for Southern California Science Olympiad or PTSA Outstanding Student in Performing Arts (school award). I think the only national awards I had were AP scholar and national merit.
This discussion has been closed.