Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Nervous about counsellors rec.

B407B407 Registered User Posts: 417 Member
edited November 2006 in College Admissions
Hi, I'm currently attending a Canadian High School and the guidance counsellors here don't even know your name let alone anything important about you because there are so few of them but so many students. I'm worried that they're going to bs something on my rec. and make my application look bad. How much is a counsellors rec usually weighted in the college admissions? Not really sure about the situation with counsellor-student relations, but how do the counsellors there get to know you? Do you guyz bring a list of activities and achievements with your forms?

Replies to: Nervous about counsellors rec.

• demeterdemeter Registered User Posts: 1,367 Senior Member
    The guidance office at my school requires a copy of an activity resume, and the GCs have mandatory appointments with all students at some point during the year. (Once or twice a year for freshmen and sophomores, more often for juniors, and by the time senior year rolls around, you probably are setting up a bunch of appointments on your own.)

The good thing is that the size of my grade, though big for the school, is quite small compared to many other schools, and the GCs really have time to get to know their students.

I wouldn't worry too much about the counselor recommendation because schools recognize that this is the rec you have the least control over, especially in such a big school. At worst, your GC will write you a bland, generic rec; it probably won't harm you in admissions, but it's not going to help you either.
This discussion has been closed.