Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Let's Rank the IVIES!

Replies to: Let's Rank the IVIES!

• badman89badman89 Registered User Posts: 694 Member
    "badman89...don't tell me to shut it

Let me stress that INTERNATIONAL PRESTIGE cannot be based on the opinion of guy who has nothing to do with universities, or is just someone on the street.

I'm from India too...thats why I used it as an example. Does it matter if the poor man from India knows which Ivy league school is the best?!

No you idiot. It's the Secretary of the Treasury, CEOs of Investment banks, and other IMPORTANT posts.

And i can assure you these people DO know about Dartmouth/Brown."

Ok dude sorry if i was a bit rude but i'll try to get my point across a little more politely.

Why are you so concerned with people who hold important posts? isn't it odd to say that these are the only people that matter? does the average man not matter? people who hold important posts like the ones you have mentioned make up a very very small percentage of the population and their knowledge does not reflect the average persons knowledge. And you're also talking of a poor man in India - that is another extreme.
    Lets leave the two extremes out of this - one extreme knows none of the colleges and the other extreme knows most of the colleges.
    Consider the average person in India - he has obviously heard of collegs like IIT and IIM as they are far more prestigious in India. Now what else would he have heard of in the US? He would surely know of Harvard, and is likely to know of Princeton and Yale. Columbia/Cornell/Penn, the slightly more informed person would know of - but its very rare that you come across an average person who's heard of brown/dart.

does this mean they are bad colleges? absolutely not. Maybe theyre great colleges and are extremely prestigious in US but here in India they are not well-known - this fact cannot be contested.
  • haru07haru07 Registered User Posts: 661 Member
    Anyone who gets into any of the Ivies should be happy.
  • hswrestling07hswrestling07 Registered User Posts: 203 Junior Member
    Harvard
    Princeton
    Yale
    Columbia
    Dartmouth
    Penn
    Brown
    Cornell
  • bobow98bobow98 Registered User Posts: 216 Junior Member
    dont forget caltech =D
  • GreenGreen Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Harvard
    Princeton
    Yale
    Dartmouth
    Columbia
    U Penn
    Cornell
    Brown
  • qwildeqwilde Registered User Posts: 1,273 Senior Member
    Let's not!
  • TourGuide446TourGuide446 - Posts: 3,099 Senior Member
    Alphabetical ranking:

Brown
    Columbia
    Cornell
    Dartmouth
    Harvard
    Pennsylvania
    Princeton
    Yale

"Overall" Ranking:

Harvard
    Princeton/Yale
    Columbia
    gap
    Dartmouth
    Penn/Brown
    Cornell

Both rankings above are about equally valid.
  • croutoncrouton Registered User Posts: 1,345 Senior Member
    college2006... u gotta get the sand out of ur vagina

neway you rank them, theyre all top schools and acceptance into ne of them means you are in pretty elite company (both in terms of intelligence and societal standing)
  • sunshadowsunshadow Registered User Posts: 1,182 Senior Member
    It's not Ivy, but is University of Notre Dame known in the UK? What about other parts of Europe?
    No, it is definitely not known in England or in most of Europe for that matter.
    Ok, well what about Georgetown? Known in the UK?
    (We have extended family from there...just wondering if they will know the value if D is accepted.)
  • negrunegru Registered User Posts: 880 Member
    If you ask around Europe about it, you'll mostly this get this response : "University of Notre Dame? That's where the weirdo hunchback went to college, isn't it?"
    Where are you from Negru?
    Georgetown is only really known in certain circles.
  • koolcrudkoolcrud Registered User Posts: 561 Member
    1) Harvard
    2) Yale
    3) Princeton
    4) Columbia
    5) Brown
    6) Dartmouth
    7) Penn
    8) Cornell
This discussion has been closed.