Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

age discrimination

antonucciaantonuccia Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
edited January 2007 in College Admissions
I'm 14 and next year I will most likely apply to college . Will age effect admissions.Also I have a disability.
Post edited by antonuccia on

Replies to: age discrimination

• IsleBoyIsleBoy Registered User Posts: 2,681 Senior Member
    It depends on the college, and the work that you have already done.
  • kyledavid80kyledavid80 Registered User Posts: 8,093 Senior Member
    If you are indeed 14 and will be applying to college, you certainly don't exhibit that in your writing.

Affect, not effect. And interrogative sentences end in a question mark. There is no space behind single punctuation marks, and one after.

No, they do not discriminate. If anything, being 15 and applying to college is impressive. But they certainly don't expect anything less of you (i.e. you will have to accomplish just as much as a highschool senior would have).
  • FreshElephantFreshElephant Registered User Posts: 1,039 Member
    (i.e. you will have to accomplish just as much as a highschool senior would have).

Probably even more. Much more.
  • antonucciaantonuccia Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
    I write well when I care to.Also I have almost completed all graduation requirments for an Advanced Regents Diploma.
  • hsmomstefhsmomstef Registered User Posts: 3,579 Senior Member
    when you say you would be applying next year -- so you have another year of school left? Have you taken the SAT or ACT yet? what college are you considering applying to? have you taken an SAT II tests or AP tests? What is your GPA?

If you have exhausted what your high school has to offer, college may be a good next step (especially if you aren't interested in very selective schools).

Have you looked at Simon's Rock College of Bard?

http://www.simons-rock.edu/
  • ChaosTheoryChaosTheory - Posts: 5,199 Senior Member
    Simon's Rock College of Bard seems very interesting. Their course offerings are definitely exception (take a look at the mathematics program).

How exceptional of a student must you be to gain admission?
  • fhimas88888888fhimas88888888 Registered User Posts: 1,871 Senior Member
    Ummmm.... I'm not so sure about that. Kevin Troy, the extemporaneous speaking dude from Eagan MN graduated early (and he had the grades, the scores, the ecs, the recs, everything), and he was denied at a couple of places. He's still at a good school, but just watch out.
  • hurricane_renohurricane_reno Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    As far as I know, age does affect your admission. There are whole bunch of legal stuff that you have to get through. And a lot of applicants are 18 or 19, and a lot of colleges take those people first.
  • christalena2christalena2 Registered User Posts: 1,667 Senior Member
    And disabilities do not affect admission. You can write about how you have faced adversity or how you've been involved in helping others with the disability, but otherwise they don't or shouldn't ask any direct questions about a disability
  • b@r!um[email protected]!um Registered User Posts: 10,373 Senior Member
    How old are you when entering college? 16?
  • paying3tuitionspaying3tuitions Registered User Posts: 13,330 Senior Member
    Antonuccia, best wishes on your future plans. Although one poster said it rudely, please be sure to have your college applications proofread. Even when challenged about writing, you still made two errors on your copy in the second posting. Specifically, you need to put a space after a period, and spell requirements is spelled with an "e" between the second r and the m.

If your disability involves your typing or vision, do not hesitate to have others proofread your essays and every short-answer you will write for those applications.

People without disabilities always ask others to review their essays etc. before they send in the applications, so do not hesitate.

Of course, typing quickly on these posts is not necessarily representative of what you can do. I think the others have a good point, however; the two posts you sent in tonight were interesting but needed proofreading.

Good luck. You must be veryveryvery smart. My cousin went to Harvard at age 16 and it was the best thing that could have happened to him. My aunt asked me at the time whether it was a mistake socially, but I told her that he would make more friends because he'd meet others with his brilliance.

Simons Rock was the first school in the country to admit students into college prior to their h.s. graduations. The founder felt that there are some kids who are just so ready for college that h.s. wastes their time. Something like that.

Good luck!
    correction: Simons Rock was the first to create an entire early degree program. Other colleges and universities have always taken individuals early.
    Most colleges have a "Disabilities Coordinator" or department to handle all the special needs. The law protects you. Look into each college's website for indication of their services to disabled students.
    Long before you actually apply, please seek out the help of a guidance counselor at the high school in your school district. There's a lot to know about that is usually sent out in letters to parents of sophomores and juniors concerning the scheduling of SAT's and so on. Also go onto the SAT website.
  • andriuxsandriuxs Registered User Posts: 599 Member
    uhmmm ur pretty young.. I mean it's great to go to college and all that stuff but carefully consider if u really want to apply... don't u like school?!.. I'm sorry if I'm being too rude or cruel or whatever, it is just that I think high school is great for a boy/girl of ur age...
This discussion has been closed.