Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

For all you Muscians

Replies to: For all you Muscians

• Canadia1Canadia1 Registered User Posts: 518 Member
    NOOOOOOOOOO...

JAZZ. BAD.

Although I heard the PGSA enphasized that a lot even though it's supposed to focus on a wide range of music.
  • nervous_breakdownnervous_breakdown Registered User Posts: 251 Junior Member
    Jazz is awesome, but Classical music is.....well, Classic.
    I adorrrrrrre classical music. in my mind, i can't even imagine writing all those symphonies, concertos, sonatas, etc. there's so much going on! stupid double stops already get on my nerves as it is and these composers had simultaneous instruments in their heads! like ***??
  • tommyytommyy Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    violist here... i applied ed and got into Rice (not as a music major though). I'm currently working on first movement of the walton concerto!
  • shostakovichshostakovich Registered User Posts: 322 Member
    nervous breakdown:

r u gunna major in music? cause you seem like you're a really accomplished violinist...
    blehh...i guess i will play mendelssohn...i just really want to learn two more pieces before i stop playing violin: Gypsy Airs and the Tchaik Violin Concerto...
  • ngsngs Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    Rach piano concertos own all.
    tchaikovsky is amazing. Zigeunerweise is like, you first look at it you think, moderato, can't be too bad; starts with 3 eighths notes, pretty easy; half note, quarter note, like grace thing, dotted eighth + sixteenth; fermata on the quarter note... then WHOA, you have this scale with 21 notes starting the open g all the way up to the highest c. then you ponder down the music and there are more?!??!! and now only do they go up but they come down too! ahhhhhhhhhh.

i know that some of you have no clue what i am talking about.

i was going to start the mendelssohn but my teacher was like, no, let's go harderand get you on the bruch g minor. i'm like... ok... i was kinda scared when he played it for me.
    i thought bruch was definately the easiest of the great concertos
    i think it goes in this order

Bruch
    Wieniawski
    Mendelssohn
    Tchaikovsky/Sarasate
  • thenarratorthenarrator Registered User Posts: 43 New Member
    YOOOOO
    Where mah wind playas at?!
    Representin Clarinet!!
    k622, straight up
  • fiddlefrogfiddlefrog Registered User Posts: 1,219 Senior Member
    Sarasate's concerto is so far from great that I'm willing to bet that you didn't know it existed... if you mean Zigeunerweisen, then put it at the bottom of the list. It's not as hard as any of those other pieces.
    The third mvt. of Bruch 1 is darned hard to play cleanly.
    yea i meant zigeunerweisen...but you're saying that gypsy airs is easier than all of em?? i strongly doubt that...
  • nervous_breakdownnervous_breakdown Registered User Posts: 251 Junior Member
    shostakovich:
    i'd love to major in music but i'm not even close to being good enough...i only started Sibelius like a month ago. Actually i think majoring in it would kinda ruin it for me. I like it to much to risk getting sick of it.
    ahhhh i can't wait to play tchaikovsky!!! i can't do that till i'm done with sibelius, which will be about forever and a half.
  • irock1ceirock1ce Registered User Posts: 1,017 Senior Member
    i'm not a music major or look to be one.. but ive been in a "summer conservatory" honors program at UC Berkeley for the last 7 years... so I know some about music. I play Piano and played clarinet

Favorite pieces:
    (in no particular order)
    1. Chopin 2nd Concerto (im playing this for my senior recital... the second movement is freakin amazing)
    2. Beethoven Waldstein Sonata (played the first movt, was about to finish it but moved onto other things)
    3. Brahms 2nd Concerto
    4. Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsodies... everyone of them
    5. Beethoven's 5th PC
    6. Saint-Saens 2nd,4th,5th concertos
    7. Mozart piano concerto no. 20,21,26,27,
    8. Scriabin - 5th Sonata
    9. Ravel - Concerto for the left hand
    10. Chopin - Grande Polonaise Brillante
    11. Chopin - Gmin Ballade op. 23
    12. Rachmaninoff 2nd + 3rd concertos (played by rachmaninoff)... other people murder it pretty bad
    13.Liszt - Paganini Etudes - no. 5 (La Chasse) (playing this too)
    14. Rachmaninoff - Prelude op. 23 no. 5 in Gmin (played this)
    15. Mozart Clarinet Concerto
    16. Liszt - Totendanz

Favorite Pianists -
    Gilels
    Ashkenazy
    Lang Lang (blah blah blah, hes empty and fake, wtvr people say)
    Rachmaninoff
    Goode
    Perahia
    Rubinstein
    Yundi Li (represent)
    did any of you send tapes? i wish i had...oh well
  • soccerguy315soccerguy315 Registered User Posts: 7,245 Senior Member
    I was the Drum Major of my high school band, and currently I play in the Concert Band and Jazz Ensemble at school (I play saxophone). I'm also learning a new instrument: Baritone.

Each group meets about 4 hours a week, for 1 credit.
This discussion has been closed.