Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

applied to MIT math, got a 96 in cal, it's all over?

Replies to: applied to MIT math, got a 96 in cal, it's all over?

• allenaallena Registered User Posts: 1,716 Senior Member
    Is there any school anywhere that actually wants the precent you got in the class?
  • MacroKimMacroKim Registered User Posts: 177 Junior Member
    96%... for MIT math, considering how they accept IMO participants/medallists every year, they won't really care much about your school marks. david, do you have any kind of awards in math competitions? For example, participations in the AMC 12, AIME, or if possible, USAMO, would greatly enhance your chances at MIT.
  • cantstandmenowcantstandmenow Registered User Posts: 255 Junior Member
    good god. what an academic moron. even my dog can get 100% in calc.

hope you have friends in high places, because I can't even see you graduating HS.
  • anoviceanovice Registered User Posts: 1,376 Senior Member
    LOL... this thread is too funny.

I got my report card today and I'm so p*ssed about my B semester grade... I wasn't angry about the B but I wasn angry after I talked to him about it. I talked to him after class and he said "Hey atleast you got an 89.3 so you can pull it up to an A!"... BS!!! I stay after so many days to tutor his Alg 1 kids because no other student will do it and I faithfully come to class everyday and participate and he can't help me out .2%... especially when I had just talked to him about midyear grade reports going out!?!?!?!?!?

... don't worry, your life is not over just like my life is not over.
  • michael_phammichael_pham Registered User Posts: 651 Member
    Dude... a 96 in calc doesn't mean its over, well maybe it does if you don't have anything else

MIT looks at numbers and you need 100's across the line in math
    unless you're an AIME, USAMO, IMO winner.

So basically kiss MIT goodbye.
  • benndaman33benndaman33 Registered User Posts: 268 Junior Member
    let's end responding to this thread
  • Canadia1Canadia1 Registered User Posts: 518 Member
    at least your scale is 89.5+ for an A. we need 91.5 for an A. we have the 8-point system instead of the 10-point system.
  • CubsRuleCubsRule Registered User Posts: 815 Member
    8 point system? 10 point system? I musta really missed the bus on this one...
  • plagmayerplagmayer Registered User Posts: 256 Junior Member
    At most schools is it even possible to get a above a 95 in calculus. My calc teacher said once he had gave out a 98 so he made sure no one got an A the semester. Nevertheless, the same kid still got a 90, i guess thats why he got into harvard.
  • AnitaVMAnitaVM Registered User Posts: 2,037 Senior Member
    ^ wow that must be majorly annoying plagmayer......weird, because my school hands out 100s in math - and even that is surprising for us, because we don't get a curve or any type of grade inflation...but yeah, what they do at your school is really unfair...
  • XanatosXanatos Registered User Posts: 1,282 Senior Member
    I got some bad news for you, man...apparently you missed that memo...yeah...MIT said said that if anyone applied to them with a 96, not only would they reject them (obviously), but they would put them on that college blacklist so that every other college they applied to could reject them, too. I'm sorry, man. Good luck next year.
  • eibrahimeibrahim - Posts: 304 Junior Member
    if i knew who u were, i would beat you with a calc book. chuck calculators at you , and strangle you to death :)
  • Canadia1Canadia1 Registered User Posts: 518 Member
    FAILURE FAILURE FAILURE FAILURE FAILURE... FOR LIFE!!!

and like this one time, i got a 95 on a math test and i had to repeat the course all over again.
  • RaboKarabekianRaboKarabekian Registered User Posts: 2,820 Senior Member
    I wish I knew if the OP was actually serious, or is trying to draw attention to the fact that he's obviously so smart that a 96 seems disastrous...
  • ecnerwalc3321ecnerwalc3321 Registered User Posts: 2,065 Senior Member
    why are you taking calculus as a senior and going to MIT math? You should be taking differential eq, calculus IV, etc.
This discussion has been closed.