Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Mike1234Mike1234 Registered User Posts: 251 Junior Member
edited April 2007 in College Admissions
I'm starting 9th grade next year, and I am starting to think about college. I am really interested in Science and Technology, and I really want to go to MIT, or at least try and do my best (I understand that they look at a lot more than just what you did in high school).

For my classes, I have:
Accelerated Biology
Accelerated Geometry (I'll have finished Algebra I and II, and I'll be able to do AP Calculus before the end of HS)
World Civilization
English
Robotics and Microcomputers
Art
Band (Trumpet)

My class is size is 200, and though it's only Middle School and we don't get ranked, I'd say that I'm in the top 10.

I also play piano, and plan to do the Science Olympiad team. I don't really know what else will come up, but for now, do you think that what I have laid out so far is good? Is there any area that you think is missing?

I am highly worried about the athletics. I HATE sports, and I am worried that I will not be accepted to good colleges because I play absolutely no sports, and hate playing all sports. How important is this if I am good at other things?

It is extremely competitive, I know, and I know it's highly unlikely that I'll get accepted because very few do, but I would at least like to know that I was as prepared as I could have been, and also, if I don't get in at MIT, it's likely that I'd get into another very good school. I want to start planning now so I don't realize that I have to start thinking about college in my Junior year.
Post edited by Mike1234 on

Replies to: Mit

• southeasttitansoutheasttitan Registered User Posts: 1,928 Senior Member
    It's good to start planning ahead for college, but don't get too caught up in it at all. Right now, just find stuff you enjoy and do well with it. There's no sense in wasting your high school years doing things to improve your resume. Don't stress about sports if you don't like them; only do piano and science if you really enjoy it. No matter what college you get into, MIT or University of Massachusetts, if you don't have some fun during high school you'll look back at your time with regret. Come back at the end of your sophomore year and check in then to see if you're on track. Right now, you appear to be doing all you can.
  • kyledavid80kyledavid80 Registered User Posts: 8,093 Senior Member
    lolllll newbs.

I agree with southeasttitan.

"but I would at least like to know that I was as prepared as I could have been, and also, if I don't get in at MIT, it's likely that I'd get into another very good school."

That's a good attitude to have.

"My class is size is 200, and though it's only Middle School and we don't get ranked, I'd say that I'm in the top 10."

As an added note, my class was ranked when I was in middle school. As for your future rank, don't worry about it. Just try to get the best grades you can, but don't kill yourself trying to get them, or beat yourself up if you don't do as well as you'd like. This is something I wish I knew when starting high school.

You don't need to do sports at all. Many--and I'd say a really huge number of people--don't do sports of any kind. I don't. ('Course, I haven't applied to colleges yet.) Some do, some don't, so don't worry if it's not your strong point. Do what you love. Which leads me to my next point.

Don't do stuff in high school that you don't like. Join clubs, etc. that you personally like, clubs that show a passion and focus.

All in all, don't let the idea of college find its way into everything you do -- it'll consume you until you're just a grade grubber who does newswriting and yearbook to look good. Just follow your passions in any way you can, and you'll do fine -- and you won't have to worry about pleasing a college.
  • crewgirl06crewgirl06 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    I have to agree with southeasttitan :) I went to MIT, and I didn't play sport until I got there. My best advice is to do the best you can in school, find some ECs that you ENJOY and get involved in them...not just 100 ECs that you pay dues to. Actually be actively involved in them and eventually take some leadershp positions if you can. Community service is also good (there is some crazy and very high statistic about students admitted to top universities and how many were involved in community service), but again find something you enjoy, don't just do it because it will look good on a college app. Most of all have FUN!! Enjoy high school while you are there.
This discussion has been closed.