right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Most underrated college/university?

Replies to: Most underrated college/university?

• ckmets13ckmets13 2176 replies118 threads Senior Member
    most people on CC would have heard of Pomona I hope
    · Reply · Share
  • KenshinsanKenshinsan 669 replies37 threads Member
    Michigan State, Whoooooooooooooooooooo
    · Reply · Share
  • Student615Student615 1865 replies20 threads Senior Member
    I tend to think that Claremont as a whole is underrated (in the sense of being largely unknown, but also regularly undervalued). There are four other undergrad colleges in the consortium, not all of whom can boast the statistics shared by SarahsDad, and yet each of whom provides remarkably similar (no...not claiming identical!) opportunities, both social and academic.

I think that the consortium as a whole is the best aspect of any Claremont school, but sometimes gets mistakenly pushed aside in the interest of its most highly ranked members.

In terms of easy admission, which seems to be part of the OP's criteria, Claremont doesn't really fit the bill. Even the schools with lower stat standards are hard to call safeties because they're looking for close fits, not just numbers. That said, the applicant pools are still relatively small, and things are only on the rise...
    · Reply · Share
  • avant-gardeavant-garde 431 replies35 threads Member
    Pomona, Cooper Union, Rice, Vanderbilt, Emory, Tufts
    · Reply · Share
  • kyledavid80kyledavid80 8053 replies40 threads Senior Member
    As others said, Pomona. Tufts would be up there too.
    · Reply · Share
  • mandela512mandela512 152 replies11 threads Junior Member
    wow, i thought pomona was well known. what about beloit? any opinions on that as an underrated school?
    · Reply · Share
  • kyledavid80kyledavid80 8053 replies40 threads Senior Member
    Never even heard of it lol
    · Reply · Share
  • Sheed30Sheed30 12334 replies91 threads Senior Member
    lol..

Im still feeling REEd as the most underrated..
    · Reply · Share
  • loslobos71loslobos71 1765 replies4 threads. Senior Member
    I'll put Indiana, Temple U. and the University of Minnesota up there.
    · Reply · Share
  • renakrenak 163 replies29 threads Junior Member
    Pomona

Cooper Union

Uva
    · Reply · Share
  • Ice-9Ice-9 51 replies6 threads Junior Member
    The college I'm going to--Bard College. But that's partly because I'm from the Midwest and no one here has ever heard of it.

And, loslobos, the U of Minnesota has been getting better in recent years, but it is in no way underrated.
    · Reply · Share
    I think it is. Not too many outside of the region (save for few) know if it. It's a top State school.
    · Reply · Share
  • Ice-9Ice-9 51 replies6 threads Junior Member
    That may be, loslobos, but the U is nothing special.

I think the problem is that the University of Wisconsin--Madison is overrated. It's ranked #34 on U.S. News's best universities list. It's tied with Boston College and New York University--that's absurd.

The University of Minnesota--Twin Cities, by contrast, is ranked #67 and is only marginally worse than Madison.
    · Reply · Share
    Exactly---It's on par with Madison.
    · Reply · Share
  • bazcat89bazcat89 232 replies5 threads Junior Member
    The SUNYs
    (10 chars)
    · Reply · Share
  • atomicfusionatomicfusion 1887 replies100 threads Senior Member
    Pomona, Mudd, Cooper Union, lots of other LACs
    · Reply · Share
  • louderthanbombslouderthanbombs 35 replies2 threads Junior Member
    knox college.
    · Reply · Share
  • friedokrafriedokra 401 replies13 threads- Member
    The WONDERFUL news is that there are SO MANY WONDERFUL colleges out there and that if people only took the time to look at them closely and see if they are a fit, instead of whether they are prestigious enough for the STATS so they can brag....then perhaps we wouldnt have the logjams we do have at the big name schools. Just a thought.

My wife went to Scripps 30 years ago and loved it. My D wanted NOTHING to do with it or the Consortium. A cousin went to CMC and played football for them.

A professor of mine in undergrad earned his B.A at CMC and his PhD at Stanford.

There are an untold myriad of wonderful schools out there and even if they dont have elite stats for incoming students, often are life changing experiences for those kids.

And to the clown putting down U. of Scranton, that is a fools errand. Scranton is a respected Jesuit School, whose former President is now President at Fordham University in New York. I dont know a SINGLE Jesuit school that isnt worth its weight in gold.....pure 18k GOLD. The Jesuits do a phenomenal job of educating the WHOLE person...while emphasizing ETHICS.

Something our world badly needs.

I wish all of you the best and a terrific four years in college. I sure did. And that was 30 years ago. It paid off in spades.
    · Reply · Share
  • RubenB84RubenB84 204 replies35 threads Junior Member
    Rice University the most underated. That school is pretty amazing.
    · Reply · Share
  • starburyknicks2004-2005starburyknicks2004-2005 433 replies7 threads Member
    Fordham is indeed very underrated. They should easily be in the top 50.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity