Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Most underrated college/university?

Replies to: Most underrated college/university?

• Ice-9Ice-9 Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    The college I'm going to--Bard College. But that's partly because I'm from the Midwest and no one here has ever heard of it.

And, loslobos, the U of Minnesota has been getting better in recent years, but it is in no way underrated.
  • loslobos71loslobos71 . Posts: 1,769 Senior Member
    I think it is. Not too many outside of the region (save for few) know if it. It's a top State school.
  • Ice-9Ice-9 Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    That may be, loslobos, but the U is nothing special.

I think the problem is that the University of Wisconsin--Madison is overrated. It's ranked #34 on U.S. News's best universities list. It's tied with Boston College and New York University--that's absurd.

The University of Minnesota--Twin Cities, by contrast, is ranked #67 and is only marginally worse than Madison.
  • loslobos71loslobos71 . Posts: 1,769 Senior Member
    Exactly---It's on par with Madison.
  • bazcat89bazcat89 Registered User Posts: 237 Junior Member
    The SUNYs
    (10 chars)
  • atomicfusionatomicfusion Registered User Posts: 1,987 Senior Member
    Pomona, Mudd, Cooper Union, lots of other LACs
  • louderthanbombslouderthanbombs Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    knox college.
  • friedokrafriedokra - Posts: 414 Member
    The WONDERFUL news is that there are SO MANY WONDERFUL colleges out there and that if people only took the time to look at them closely and see if they are a fit, instead of whether they are prestigious enough for the STATS so they can brag....then perhaps we wouldnt have the logjams we do have at the big name schools. Just a thought.

My wife went to Scripps 30 years ago and loved it. My D wanted NOTHING to do with it or the Consortium. A cousin went to CMC and played football for them.

A professor of mine in undergrad earned his B.A at CMC and his PhD at Stanford.

There are an untold myriad of wonderful schools out there and even if they dont have elite stats for incoming students, often are life changing experiences for those kids.

And to the clown putting down U. of Scranton, that is a fools errand. Scranton is a respected Jesuit School, whose former President is now President at Fordham University in New York. I dont know a SINGLE Jesuit school that isnt worth its weight in gold.....pure 18k GOLD. The Jesuits do a phenomenal job of educating the WHOLE person...while emphasizing ETHICS.

Something our world badly needs.

I wish all of you the best and a terrific four years in college. I sure did. And that was 30 years ago. It paid off in spades.
  • RubenB84RubenB84 Registered User Posts: 239 Junior Member
    Rice University the most underated. That school is pretty amazing.
  • starburyknicks2004-2005starburyknicks2004-2005 Registered User Posts: 440 Member
    Fordham is indeed very underrated. They should easily be in the top 50.
  • starburyknicks2004-2005starburyknicks2004-2005 Registered User Posts: 440 Member
    Haven't heard of one Fordham student who hasn't gotten a decent job upon graduation.
  • VertigoFrogVertigoFrog Registered User Posts: 294 Junior Member
    I'd say Reed without a doubt.
  • kyledavid80kyledavid80 Registered User Posts: 8,093 Senior Member
    I don't think Rice is underrated or overrated -- just rated. It's been in the top 20 colleges for a while...
    Ruben, How is Rice underrated? they are pretty well renowned and ranked 17 by US news last I checked...I think that is pretty damn good. If anything, they are overrated. UMich should be ranked higher than Rice. I also think Dartmouth (although an Ivy), Notre Dame, and especially Mellon are overrated.
  • barronsbarrons Registered User Posts: 24,897 Senior Member
    UW does far better than Uminn in a number of measures--better students, much higher research rankings, far more NAS members in liberal arts, and far more major faculty award winners. On faculty quality alone it should be higher ranked.
This discussion has been closed.