Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Most underrated college/university?

anewkidanewkid Registered User Posts: 146 Junior Member
edited May 2007 in College Admissions
As i am nearing to the days when I will be busy filling out applications and focusing perhaps a little too much on the "name brand" schools out there, I am curious as to which schools you really feel just don't get the credit they deserve and warrant more attention and merit than they get? I am a kid who has had a strong juinor year but a weak beginning to h.s. and this will affect my overall GPA to being in the low to mid 3's however my SAT scores are coming in strong, math/reading about 1400'S. So any ideas of where else I might want to consdider? Thanks!!
Post edited by anewkid on

Replies to: Most underrated college/university?

• Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 36,056 Super Moderator
    Wooster College and Ohio Wesleyan. Very good schools, somewhat undervalued.
  • NoneNone Registered User Posts: 425 Member
    College that Change Lives Schools:

ctcl.com

Its goal is to let more people know about excellent schools that lack the prestige factor.
  • haloraiderhaloraider Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    San Jose State, cause thats where I'm headed. :)
  • littleathiestlittleathiest Registered User Posts: 1,143 Senior Member
    Well, just scanning the list of "Top LAC's here on CC, I'd say, as someone from the northeast... Bates College, Carleton College, Colby College, Colgate University, Davidson College, Grinnell College, Hamilton College, Kenyon College, Macalester College, Trinity College, Vassar College (since I've decided to attend, I've noticed that there's a ton of people who've never heard of it), Washington & Lee University, Whitman College. These aren't unknown schools, persay, but they're one that often get overlooked by those whose first choices are Ivy League schools.

Also, out of the schools I visited which aren't on that one list... Dickinson College, Franklin & Marshall College, and Ursinus College are all VERY nice schools. You'd probably get in pretty easily with nice merit scholarships.
  • hawkettehawkette Registered User Posts: 4,863 Senior Member
    In my opinion, schools in America’s Sunbelt don’t get the attention that they deserve. There are many very good schools around the country and if decent weather has any relevance in where you will spend your four years of college, the following list might be a good starting point.

NORTH CAROLINA
    Duke
    U North Carolina (18% OOS students)
    Wake Forest
    Davidson College
    Elon

SOUTH CAROLINA
    Clemson (35% OOS)
    Furman

GEORGIA
    Emory
    Georgia Tech (31% OOS)
    U Georgia (12% OOS)

TENNESSEE
    Vanderbilt
    Rhodes College
    Sewanee (Univ of the South)

FLORIDA
    U Florida (7% OOS)
    U Miami
    Rollins

LOUISIANA
    Tulane

TEXAS
    Rice
    U Texas (5% OOS)
    Texas A&M (6% OOS)
    Southern Methodist
    Baylor
    Austin College
    Trinity University

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
    Caltech
    USC
    Pomona
    Claremont McKenna
    Harvey Mudd
    Scripps
    Occidental
    UC San Diego (2% OOS)
    UC Santa Barbara (5% OOS)
  • FJGFJG Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    American University and the University of Scranton
  • paulfoersterpaulfoerster - Posts: 381 Member
    Harvard.......
  • Sheed30Sheed30 Registered User Posts: 12,425 Senior Member
    Reed..underrated
  • huskem55huskem55 User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 4,284 Senior Member
    us news has connecticut college ranked 8-14 places too low...if that means anything about being underrated. (should be 25-30)
  • a778999a778999 Registered User Posts: 1,520 Senior Member
    Cooper Union, Georgia Tech
  • redknightredknight Registered User Posts: 461 Member
    Frankly, I think that every college has at least one professor that makes a huge difference in his or her students lives. I know it sounds clich
  • par72par72 Registered User Posts: 4,208 Senior Member
    Holy Cross, Davidson, Colby. HC has nice location-1 hour from Boston.
  • kelsmomkelsmom Registered User Posts: 15,298 Senior Member
    Adding two more excellent, underrated schools: Hendrix (Arkansas) and Centre (Kentucky). Don't let their locations fool you ... these are fantastic schools ... but they are small (1100). If small is good for you, you can't go wrong with either of these schools!
  • UcMichiganUcMichigan Registered User Posts: 497 Member
    Rhodes is somewhat unknown but its an excellent LAC
  • trizkutttrizkutt . Posts: 236 Junior Member
    University of Scranton? More like "University of Scrotum." I've heard nothing but horror stories from that place.
This discussion has been closed.