Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

counselor is calling UCLA tmrw HELP

Meza007Meza007 Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
edited April 2007 in College Admissions
she is calling to put in a rec for my appeal and check my status, what should i have her say? any help is appreciated, thanks.

in other words, what is the best way to say i am qualified for their school?
Post edited by Meza007 on

Replies to: counselor is calling UCLA tmrw HELP

• AronomyAronomy Registered User Posts: 293 Junior Member
    Just curious, did you have any letters of recommendation attached with your actual appeal letter?
  • Meza007Meza007 Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    no i didnt because im on a very good status with my counselor and i only wanted her to recommend me
  • Rock StarRock Star Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    she should have wrote a letter of rec. because the appeals committee read a lot of apps. and I don't think they are going to go out of there way to talk to your counselor.
    Well good luck with the appeals .I appealed to UCLA just received mine and they are looking over it.
    yeah well someone has PMed me saying that " I have a great counselor to do this." Yeah, i should have, but i've heard of people getting in from help by their counselor calling in. i dont think a call would hurt.
  • AronomyAronomy Registered User Posts: 293 Junior Member
    I'm sure calling in is probably a really good idea ;) I'm a bit jealous that nobody will be calling in on my behalf :). Good luck
    yeah basically she is going to say i am a minority (mexican), first generation in the family, with a speech impediment, and a lot of other stuff, i hope this works and to anyone worried about when the appeals for UCLA come out,etc, i will have her find out tomorrow

good luck to everyone!
  • BirdKillerBirdKiller Registered User Posts: 606 Member
    The University of California system is not allowed to take race itself as a factor in their admissions.
    uhh..someone from my school wrote his big essay on how being mexican was hard while growing up,etc and he got into ucla. he took absolutely no ap classes,etc, and no ECs. Plus, someone on here got in on appeal with help of her rare race.
  • BirdKillerBirdKiller Registered User Posts: 606 Member
    The university most likely took consideration of the person's hardship, not by his or her race. As I said before, the UC system is not allowed to factor race itself. There's a big difference. If you're a Mexican and had a normal average life, the UC school you are appealing to will not consider your race as a factor: just stating that you're a minority isn't going to help in UC, you have to explain how this has influenced your life in terms of hardship.
    i see the difference, i will try to avoid that, thanks
This discussion has been closed.