Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Rank the universities of the WORLD

Replies to: Rank the universities of the WORLD

• hashhash Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    The reforms were vetoed....but they are not bad reforems in any case. I think keeping an eye on the academics is a good idea.
  • collegeperson12collegeperson12 Registered User, . Posts: 208 Junior Member
    Oxford and Cambridge are definitely has-beens. They used to be the best in the world, and now they are just......bleh. I am just using them as an example to show that even though schools like Stanford and Harvard and Yale are the best in the world right now, they might also become has-beens once the American empire crumbles just like the British empire did. (And yes, America is an empire).

Oxford and Cambridge are good schools, but they aren't wow inspiring schools. The same will happen to HYPS.
  • jkhjkh Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    Oxbridge and HYPSM will only become 'has-beens' if they fail to recognise the increasing competition in global education. Oxbridge for sure are keeping their tabs and taking this global competition very seriously. I am not familiar with HYPSM so I don't know much in that department or what they are doing about it.

It's not as if these great instituitions are blind to what's happening on the global education front. Suffice to say that while the Asian universities will no doubt catch-up in maybe 20 or 30 years' time, it is highly unlikely that Oxbridge and HYPSM will become 'has-beens'. They will surely remain among the top as long as they are not blind to competition.

Observing the trend in current global education is one thing - predicting the future with such a sweeping statement is another thing.
  • UCLAriUCLAri Registered User Posts: 14,740 Senior Member
    Hash,

Just making sure we're on the same page here... The two proposals by Mr. Hood, to centralize decision making, and to change the way that the dons work, were both stopped?

I'm all for Oxford being modernized to an extent, but it seems that Hood is trying to copy the American model just for the sake of familiarity.
  • UCLAriUCLAri Registered User Posts: 14,740 Senior Member
    And there is still one issue that plagues Chinese universities: The CCP.
  • ThomasH32ThomasH32 Registered User Posts: 731 Member
    Here are so more focus groups/think tanks that rate college by prestige (or so they say)

http://brodyadmissions.com/college/resources/college_rankings.php

http://www.consusgroup.com/news/rankings/colleges/selectivity.asp

I DID NOT write these articles, so please do not direct the firestorm towards me.
  • cevoniacevonia Registered User Posts: 501 Member
    Just making sure we're on the same page here... The two proposals by Mr. Hood, to centralize decision making, and to change the way that the dons work, were both stopped?

Yup. By overwhelming majorities. I think that Hood's plans were a little extreme but definitely on the right track.
    The same will happen to HYPS.

The main reason for the decline of the European universities - especially the German elite ones - is lack of funding. That only goes hand in hand with the clout of their countries in the day when they were funded by the state (still are). The American colleges, with their ridiculous endowments and expert fund managers, have at least a twenty year head start over the Chinese universities - which, let's face it, won't go private any time soon. While there definitely will be competition from the Asian schools, the massive difference in finances means America should still be able to attract the best from overseas. No other country grants the level of academic freedom that America does, nor are they likely to, particularly while they remain state run.

HYPS's global dominance only really started towards the late 70s and 80s when they started building up their endowments, not when America became a superpower. Before that it was definitely a more level playing field.
  • BCBoundedBCBounded Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    Ok, so ITT is up there, thought it might be considered one of the best, I myself disagree because it doesn't have the same prestige as per se...Harvard, Yale, Oxford, Cambridge...As shallow as that sounds, that is how rankings work[look at how US NEWS ranks US's best university].
  • cevoniacevonia Registered User Posts: 501 Member
    As shallow as that sounds

It's not that shallow. Prestige is almost always earned. IIT are reknowned for the toughness of their admission and the quality of their students, but not as much for their research output, which is what determines the prestige of a university.
  • thethoughtprocessthethoughtprocess Registered User Posts: 4,167 Senior Member
    You know what, half my relatives went to an IIT school (Madras/New Delhi)

You know what their eventual goal was?

To come to America to get there PhD's. All the Indians come to places like Penn State, Pitt, Houston, Rice, Mich, etc. to get their PhD's and to stay here. So IIT may be good in one respect, but its mostly to prepare students - not to innovate them to remain and do research and whatnot.
  • ubermenschubermensch Registered User Posts: 272 Junior Member
    Are Oxford and Cambridge still around? I thought they became museums like in London or something. My friends say they have those funny looking soldiers with the black hats that look like Marge Simpson's hair. They're supposed to guard stolen Egyptian artifacts in a glass case. Anyway, I didn't know Oxford was still teaching people.
  • Ivy_GradIvy_Grad Registered User Posts: 533 Member
    thethoughtprocess,

that echoes sentiments that my fellow Wharton buddy (IIT undergrad) told me as well. as for him? he ended up at a top US consulting firm and moved his whole family over to the States.
  • hashhash Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    haha uberdude, do you purposely try to be an idiot or is it just natural?
  • adidesadides Registered User Posts: 2,044 Senior Member
    about the iit thing, all of us agree that iit= no ecs, no sports and u dont get a well-rounded individual. the iit grads dont care about whats happening in the world, they care more about the money. I agree by intellectual levels they can give ne1 in this world a run for his money but i dont think sheer intellectual prowess is sufficient to survive.
    So according to me:
    1. MIT,
    2. Harvard
    3. Princeton/ yale/ stanford
  • thethoughtprocessthethoughtprocess Registered User Posts: 4,167 Senior Member
    IIT grads don't care about money, they care about learning and science (and being good enough to get to America with what they learn)

IIT grads move to America and mainly get jobs that are pure engineering jobs; for example, my uncle went to IIT and works as an environmental consultant
This discussion has been closed.