Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Rank the universities of the WORLD

Replies to: Rank the universities of the WORLD

• jai6638jai6638 Registered User Posts: 1,025 Member
    Getting high enough numbers to get into IIT is a huge task. So don't look down your nose at IIT=numbers.

also getting a good percentage in Indian high school education isnt easy either.. It's definately harder than the regular high school education here in the US...
  • thethoughtprocessthethoughtprocess Registered User Posts: 4,167 Senior Member
    True

Remember that only like 5% of children get those quality educations though
  • HandskillzHandskillz Registered User Posts: 189 Junior Member
    1) Harvard
    2) Wake Forest
    Remember that only like 5% of children get those quality educations though

what do you mean?
    Most of the kids in India are poor.
    Most of the kids in India are poor.

10% of the kids go to schools in India ( sad... ).. However, 10% of a billion is still a lot ( Quoted from the UNICEF website: The number of children attending school has gone up many-fold since the time of India’s Independence – increasing from around 19.2 million in 1950-51 to 113.8 million in 2000-01. ) .. Quite a lot of Indians residing in the middle east go to Indian schools.. In my previous Indian high school in Dubai alone, there were 8000 students..

I guess your right though... More kids need to go to school in India *sigh*... Oh well....
    Yeah, I know...it is sad

but then again, a century ago not many kids in America went to school either, so hopefully things will get better with time
  • Katie07Katie07 Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    I've heard from several British people that Cambridge is considered better than Oxford, despite the fact that most Americans think that it's the other way around.
  • UCLAriUCLAri Registered User Posts: 14,740 Senior Member
    Katie07,

You're not alone. However, I'm more inclined to just refer to the two as Oxbridge and avoid the issue altogether.
  • Katie07Katie07 Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    Nice perspective.
  • HandskillzHandskillz Registered User Posts: 189 Junior Member
    here's my rank:
    1. upenn,
    wake forest
    2. und
    3.harvard
    4.tcnj
  • hashhash Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    katie, I think you'd struggle to say Cambridge is better than Oxford, or vice versa. They're both equally excellent, though officially the Times has placed Oxford at number 1 above Cambridge for the last 4 years running.
  • BCBoundedBCBounded Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    IIT is numbers, I am Indian and I know so many Indians who went there who did absolutly nothing but study. Yes they got the score, and got accepted...ITT is soley based on numbers, despite the occasional exceptions.
  • SteveUKSteveUK Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    Hmm, here's my UK perspective:

1. Oxbridge / HYPS / LSE (London) / IIT (India) / Tsinghua (China) / Tokyo
    2. Lots of great American unis (e.g. MIT, UC Berkley, etc.) + Imperial College London + some foreign ones which probably don't have the same prestige but are just as competitive

I'm only ranking them for undergrad studies btw.

Katie07: It's true that Cambridge is seen as having an academic edge over Oxford within the UK, but not enough that you would automatically pick it as your first choice. They both take students of the highest calibre. They also tend to have reputations in different areas, e.g. Oxford for politics, Cambridge for sciences. Both are equally good for Law but Oxford has a better postgrad Law programme (the BCL). Cambridge is better for the first half of medical training (the scientific bit) whilst Oxford is reputedly better for the second half (which is based in hospitals). Cambridge tends to be better in more subject areas than Oxford (including ones you might not expect, like History and Economics), which is why it is said to have the edge. As you can see, though, it's not so simple as saying one is better than the other!
  • pacerspacers Registered User Posts: 211 Junior Member
    SteveUK, the US is only 6hrs ahead of you guys, so 16 months is really pushing it.
This discussion has been closed.