Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Rank the universities of the WORLD

Replies to: Rank the universities of the WORLD

• kfc4ukfc4u Registered User Posts: 3,415 Senior Member
    BCgoUSC, haha i thought the USC meant "university of southern california" not "university of south carolina" at first. boy i do have west coast bias
  • cosarcosar Registered User Posts: 696 Member
    but fun. Here's the definitive world ranking from The Times Higher Education Supplement (London) from last November:

Top League of the World University Rankings

1 Harvard University (US)
    2 University of California, Berkeley (US)
    3 Massachusetts Institute of Technology (US)
    4 California Institute of Technology (US)
    5 Oxford University (UK)
    6 Cambridge University (UK)
    7 Stanford University (US)
    8 Yale University (US)
    9 Princeton University (US)
    10 ETH Zurich (Switzerland)
    11 London School of Economics (UK)
    12 Tokyo University (Japan)
    13 University of Chicago (US)
    14 Imperial College London (UK)
    15 University of Texas at Austin (US)
    16 Australian National University (Australia)
    17 Beijing University (China)
    18 National University of Singapore (Singapore)
    19 Columbia University (US)
    20 University of California, San Francisco (US)
  • crazychaicrazychai Registered User Posts: 319 Member
    McGill University (Canada)!!!! I don't know where it should go but I think it's a lot better than University of Texas. no offense to anyone who goes there. just my personal opinion
  • golubb_ugolubb_u Registered User Posts: 371 Member
    These are the only world rankigns I'm aware of that have a decent methodology:

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2004/top500(1-100).htm

1) Harvard
    2) Stanfrod
    3) Cambridge
    4) Berkeley
    5) MIT
    6) CIT
    7) Princeton
    8) Oxford
    9) Columbia
    10 Yale
    11) Cornell
    12) U.of.Chig
    etc.
  • ubermenschubermensch Registered User Posts: 272 Junior Member
    Oxford and Cambridge went down the toilet in recent years. They were good before, but with their endowments smaller than the GDP of my backyard, they are TTTs. There is no competing against any top US Schools.
  • kfc4ukfc4u Registered User Posts: 3,415 Senior Member
    although oxbridge still draw some of the world's top scholars
  • golubb_ugolubb_u Registered User Posts: 371 Member
    "Oxford and Cambridge went down the toilet in recent years. They were good before, but with their endowments smaller than the GDP of my backyard, they are TTTs. There is no competing against any top US Schools"

Yes, in terms of endowment, publications per professor, Nobel prizes etc. in RECENT years, Oxbridge are worse than any Ivy. But in terms of prestige and PAST performance, they're still up there.
  • hashhash Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    1. Oxford
    2. Harvard
    3. Cambridge
    4. IIT, Yale, Stanford, MIT and co.

IIT probably ranks 1st in terms of competition for places though.
    ubermensch, you seem to have some kind of unjustified hatred for Oxbridge. What happened, did an Oxford student beat you up? Did you apply and not get in?

Everytime a thread like this pops up, you're the first to regurgitate all this s*** about Oxbridge being crap....
    "Oxford and Cambridge went down the toilet in recent years. They were good before, but with their endowments smaller than the GDP of my backyard, they are TTTs. There is no competing against any top US Schools."

Endowments maketh not a university...

Throwing money all over the place doesn't make things better, I think you should realise this :-p

In any case, Oxbridge have huge endowments. I don't think you know what you're saying.
  • collegeperson12collegeperson12 Registered User, . Posts: 208 Junior Member
    Actually Oxford is having REALLY huge financial woes right now. It's endowment is in the millions while places like Harvard and Stanford have upwards of 9 billion to spend as they wish. In addition, the prestige of Oxford is waning, and more people know about top US schools than they do about Oxbridge. Overall, I guess you could classify Oxford as a "has-been" that had its former glory but is now just a semi-fancy college with no real actual substance.
  • GutradeGutrade Registered User Posts: 226 Junior Member
    My rank of world universities:

1. Harvard
    2. Yale/Stanford
    4. MIT
    5. Caltech
    6. Princeton
    7. Columbia
    8. Dartmouth
  • slipper1234slipper1234 Registered User Posts: 9,084 Senior Member
    Columbia UNIVERSITY I would say is gaining on Yale.

Undergrad: Yale
    Business (MBA): Columbia
    Law: Yale
    Medical: Tie
    Education: Columbia
    Engineering: Columbia
    Graduate Departments Overall: Tie
  • classicistclassicist Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    I must admit I'm getting a little freaked about this ranking business, because I'm still up in the air about what my various choices have to offer. Now I read in the parents forum about how supposedly Chicago students are so superior, yadayadayada, to students elsewhere ("more academic," "more intellectual," on & on). Am I nuts? I thought being accepted early to an Ivy meant something, particularly bec. I'm not a URM or athlete, etc. Now supposedly only Chicago U people are the true intellectuals, whereas students at other top schools are more jocks, into fraternities, etc., or not really "intellectually curious" in the way Chicago students are. I'm not interested in bashing one partic. school over another, but I do want to be with other intellectually passionate students. Anyone have any feedback on this "type of student" business?
    I visited several Ivies & found them all stimulating. Did not visit Chicago yet; haven't had the chance.
    "Actually Oxford is having REALLY huge financial woes right now. It's endowment is in the millions while places like Harvard and Stanford have upwards of 9 billion to spend as they wish. In addition, the prestige of Oxford is waning, and more people know about top US schools than they do about Oxbridge. Overall, I guess you could classify Oxford as a "has-been" that had its former glory but is now just a semi-fancy college with no real actual substance."

Wow, I didn't know you people were so ill-informed. Oxford is not having "REALLY huge financial woes". It could do with more funding, but it's still a rich university.

The prestige of Oxford is waning? How can you make a judgement like that. You're definitely in no position to comment on which university the world knows more about.

The only reason that more international studens apply to US unis as opposed to Oxbridge is that HYPSM can provide financial aid. If Oxbridge provided the same level of financial aid to internationals, you can bet your bottom dollar that they would go to Oxbridge.

Oxford is not a has been. A significant number of students from HYPSM would not even be academically strong enough to get an offer from Oxford.

It's obvious you have no idea what you're talking about. In future I suggest you actually find out the facts before writing your ignorant opinion based statements.
This discussion has been closed.