Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Pullin yourself outta the hole.....

KarmaKillsKarmaKills Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
edited February 2005 in College Admissions
How many of you guys have started out with low GPA's freshman and beginning of sophmore year and ended up going to the college you wanted?
(By low I mean under 3.5)

For me,

Freshman: 3.3
Sophmore: (1st semester): 3.45

I got my act together and I plan to (positive) that I can pull of a 4.0 second semester and junior year. I have really good EC's and focused on what I like a lot, business. I joined a lot of business clubs and im starting an internship as a board member of a non profit organization.

If I do well I think I can pull off a 3.85 GPA
(without freshman year)

I mostly picked my list around colleges that look a lot at test scores and EC's and not a lot of freshman year grades

University of Michigan (in state)
Emory
UCLA
Northwestern
NYU

Do you think I have a shot at these schools?

Dartmouth
UPenn
Duke
UC-Berkeley?

Im not posting this in what are my chances because im still a soph....i dont have my stats yet.

Im trying to get an idea now as my family isnt exactly rich and I want to start gearing towards one or two ideal schools...

Thanks
Post edited by KarmaKills on

Replies to: Pullin yourself outta the hole.....

• xaguamelonxxaguamelonx Registered User Posts: 110 Junior Member
    yeah well.... i had a way lower gpa. try 1.6 something freshman year! (i kno i kno, but it would take me a year to explain everything that contributed to that) anyway, since then its gone way up, 2.5 soph, 3.3 junior, 4.0 senior. so, we'll see what happens.

i think if u keep up ur EC's and really show interest in a few schools early on, either by taking summer classes or calling the admisisons office and talking to them, you can get in. keep up the good grades tho, thats important. take AP classes, stay really involved, and dont slack ur senior year. thats the hardest part. haha, good luck w/ everything tho!! :)
  • zagatzagat - Posts: 2,360 Senior Member
    The UCs only look at Soph and junior year. For out of staters, UCB and LA want higher GPAs that for those in state, which is over 4.0. So those will be very hard.
  • SnP2kSnP2k Registered User Posts: 168 Junior Member
    I got into my top college with a decent freshman year, but a kickass senior year.

GPA:
    Freshman through Junior year: 4.0688 / 5.0
    Senior year (Quarters 1 and 2): 4.7 / 5.0

Took all college/career prep classes Freshman year.
    Took 2 honors courses Sophomore year.
    Took 4 honors courses Junior year (1 of which was AP-us history).
    Taking 3 honors courses Senior year (all AP--calc,chem,physics). Aside from those AP classes, I have one college/career prep (english), and some miscellaneous courses that i have to take. The problem is that there are no other good classes that I can take, so I had to take some bogus filler courses. Just a note, the filler courses are not what's keeping my GPA up, in fact, theyre keeping it down; those AP classes alone give me a 5.3 / 5.0 GPA.

So, it is possible. The problem is that it depends on the schools you plan to apply to. Some may not look at senior year, some may look at sophomore/junior.
This discussion has been closed.