Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Are Gay/Bisexual/Transgendered Youth URMS?

xandero1227xandero1227 Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
edited March 2005 in College Admissions
Just a thought that popped into my head while not writing my paper that's due tomorrow. What do people think? I believe that they might be given special consideration because of the maturity it takes to come out and yadda yadda. But is it likely that adcoms actively seek out LGBT youth in order to diversify the school communities? Since lots of LGBT youth come out while in college, I don't think they would so much...
Post edited by xandero1227 on

Replies to: Are Gay/Bisexual/Transgendered Youth URMS?

• MzLover3MzLover3 Registered User Posts: 1,005 Senior Member
    Such a youth would need to have something to say about being GLBT. For example, if coming out affected the students grades and got him or her kicked out of the home....that could potentially make up for an entire transcript....On the other hand, it would help students whose parents are confortable with their sexual orientation and founded a Gay and Straight Alliance. So it can be played both ways, or not at all, depend son the student.

To summarize:

1. yes it could help the student getting in...pity card
    2. yes it could help the student getting in...leadership card
    3. it could have no effect if the environment the student has grown up suports homosexuality and the student hasn't used his position to influence other members of society
  • chanmanchanman . Posts: 1,667 Senior Member
    i'm going to be gay now.
  • BuBBLES FoR SALEBuBBLES FoR SALE Registered User Posts: 2,164 Senior Member
    All this is beyond absurd. You can choose something less radical. I mean, you should feel guilty you're taking up the resources and benefits that people who HAVE suffered should enjoy.
  • xandero1227xandero1227 Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    I'm not sure that it wouldn't have an effect. If you look at any of the "Youth Hazardous Behavior" surveys (this is probably not the exact name..) you'll see that of GLBT youth are more likely to have had experiences with drugs, abuse, pre-teenage/early teenage sex than their straight counterparts. I'm guessing that this means a much lower percentage of the GLBT population ends up applying to college than of the straight population. GLBT applicants are then probably under-represented in college admissions and perhaps actually are sought out by adcoms.
  • xandero1227xandero1227 Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    (?) No one here is taking up any resources and benefits.
    And I'm pretty sure chanman is just kidding
  • SnP2kSnP2k Registered User Posts: 168 Junior Member
    It sounds plausible, however, there's no checkbox on the application that asks for your sexual orientation.

The flaw is that right now, most of the country is against gays, so it's most likely that the college admissions counselors are against gays, which means if they see "gay" on an application, they'll reject the student without giving the app much of a look.

Personally, I don't think they should take that into consideration because 1. it's not something you can really prove, so people will be faking it just to get pity as a way of getting in, and 2. say you're applying to college and you and a gay person had similar stats, how would you feel if the gay person got accepted, you'd probably be ****ed.

I think colleges should lower their tuitions and give some more money to rich people because they have to pay all the taxes and $30,000/year is expensive, not to mention the tuition at most schools increases each year. Then seeing some BS like some poor kid who has ****ty grades get a full scholarship; and you have awesome grades, tons of ECs, but your family is able to contribute more than the tuition, but get nothing for financial aid. I mean, what is that all about. Then, 9 times out of 10, the poor kid ends up failing out anyway.

Christ, I have to stop ranting. I don't mean offense towards those who are poor and are trying to better themselves. I loathe the poor people who leech off the system because they're too lazy to do something with themselves. Also, I'm just kind of annoyed that college is so expensive. Tired, homework sucks, and hopefully there's a snowday tomorrow..err...today.
  • crazychaicrazychai Registered User Posts: 319 Member
    this kid in my school is gay and he based his essay on his coming out. and i could just see that smirk on his face because he knows that's a major hook
  • corman842corman842 Registered User Posts: 155 Junior Member
    I wholeheartedly disagree with your opinions on the rich and the poor. The poor are given more leeway because the opportunities presented to them are FAR LESSER than the ones presented to the rich. Regardless of what type of school you went to, the poor will have ****tier schools than you. Schools are funded on property taxes. Richer neighborhoods have more money to spend on schools because there is more money from taxes. More money means better teachers because they are lured by better pay. More money means more resources, means AP classes, means connections, means smaller classes, means better chance to succeed. The poor are not "leeching off of the system," the system is compensating for their lack of opportunity that the system gave them, and it usually does it too late, or not at all. The rich should not have to pay less, because the rich are the ones who can afford it. Scholarships give people who would not otherwise have the opportunity to succeed that same opportunity you have been afforded by birthright. The rich pay the taxes because they're the ones who can afford to. We live in a society, and in a society you need to look out for EVERYONE, not just yourself. If you want proof that money does change quality of education and quality of opportunity, read Jonathan Kozol's "Savage Inequalities."

Sorry for the rant, that statement just kind of annoyed me...
  • jamimomjamimom Registered User Posts: 3,278 Senior Member
    I don't know any one in that category given any preference for admissions. Any student who falls in that category and has gotten into the most selective schools has had the resume to back him up. Also for every adcom that might be attracted by such a focus, there are going to be those who are not going to like it. Also, it is rare that a kid of 16-18 is going to have a sexual orientation that is not more in the confused category. I know a bunch of adults who are now straight with famiies who were gay in college. Experimenting, unsure, who knows. And I know adults who are now gay, who were living a straight life in college, and who have told me that they did not figure out they were gay until well into adult hood. So at age 16-18, though, yes, there are some who are adament and will remain so, there is a lot of transition in sexuality, sexual preferences. A little early to start labeling oneself.
This discussion has been closed.