Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

To what extent do standardized tests make up for bad class rank?

2»

Replies to: To what extent do standardized tests make up for bad class rank?

• samiamysamiamy Registered User Posts: 1,712 Senior Member
    Same crap happened to me, the top 8 kids really belong there, they took every higher level course since 8th grade, since in our school 8th grade counts when you are taking honors/accelerated courses. BUT kid 9 to 22 took regular classes, aced them, bombed their regents exams, well in the 80's. Senior year they are taking cake electives, almost guarenteed 95 or greater mid year grades. Our school gives no extra weight to accelerated/honors courses at all.

The rest of us idiots who took accelerated courses, APs in all subjects that we could avail of, who have solid 92-94 GPAs are ranked down below them.

Three of the scholarships that are worth at least 12-15K from my dads job, go by SAT score and Rank. Well in a class of 225 and your ranked 26, doesn't help much even with an SAT score over 2200.

We should have never have taken these stupid AP courses would have been in the top 3-4 %.

The kids who got screwed dropped all their AP exams( I didn't yet, not sure if I should) to take easier courses, to kick them back up into the top 10.
  • HuntHunt Registered User Posts: 26,918 Senior Member
    I think the failure to take available AP courses would hurt you more than a few positions in rank.
    I think probably the answer to the OP's question, as well as the alternative question about high GPA and lower scores is: somewhat.
  • RootBeerCaesarRootBeerCaesar Registered User Posts: 1,377 Senior Member
    ^ That is true up to a degree. Once you fall out of the top decile, then having not taken those AP classes would be less hurtful than the loss of class rank....:( . I dont regret taking my AP classes, just I wish those other kids in my class would have taken them too, so they wouldnt have such a high UNDEsERVED Rank. I mean, is my 94 in AP classes really ranked lower academically than their 95 in college-prepatory (not even honors) classes? pftt
  • sublimosublimo Registered User Posts: 283 Junior Member
    say i took the hardest classes available but was only in the top 30% wuth a 3.45 uw gpa and 34 ACT what is the most selective school you think i could get into? (michigan?)
  • tokenadulttokenadult Registered User Posts: 17,471 Senior Member
    What are the hardest classes available?
  • spideygirlspideygirl Registered User Posts: 3,352 Senior Member
    samiamy: "The rest of us idiots who took accelerated courses, APs in all subjects that we could avail of, who have solid 92-94 GPAs are ranked down below them. ...Three of the scholarships that are worth at least 12-15K from my dads job, go by SAT score and Rank. Well in a class of 225 and your ranked 26, doesn't help much even with an SAT score over 2200...We should have never have taken these stupid AP courses would have been in the top 3-4 %. ...The kids who got screwed dropped all their AP exams( I didn't yet, not sure if I should) to take easier courses, to kick them back up into the top 10."

While the impact on your ability to be competitive for those specific scholarships is unfortunate, the class rank situation at your school will be understood by adcoms everywhere. No worries, IMO. Taking the most rigorous courseload available was the right thing to do.
  • friedokrafriedokra - Posts: 414 Member
    A LOT of schools dont pay close attention to class rank because they know it is gamed most of the time. They are MORE interested in the rigor of your courses, an upward trend in grades and showing maturity.

Congrats on the ACT score and dont give up hope.

take a gander at Notre Dame. They like ACT scores in your range.

and finally, dont despair. When all is said and done...like a month or two into your freshman year in college, you will be saying, "this is where I was MEANT to be....and never look back." It happens tens of thousands of times every year to kids who were initially disappointed about not getting into a super elite school.

Happiness and fit trump rank and prestige. Trust me on that.
  • RootBeerCaesarRootBeerCaesar Registered User Posts: 1,377 Senior Member
    Trouble is that the ones Ive found that 'fit' me so far are high enough prestige wise to require such a thing. If my school had weighted GPA's id surely be in the top 2%. I'm one of the only people in my school too who has actual meaningful goals in life that extend beyond just making money and retiring early. This system is one annoying giant obstacle to me. Even though I suppose the 'famous alumni' lists of some of my other fits are also good enough too
This discussion has been closed.