Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

To what extent do standardized tests make up for bad class rank?

sublimosublimo Registered User Posts: 283 Junior Member
edited October 2007 in College Admissions
say someone is barely in the top 30% of their class at a competetive hs but has 33-34 on the act. can they expect to get into highly selective schools? what do you think is the most selective school they can get in to if every thing else about them is decent but not stellar?
Post edited by sublimo on

Replies to: To what extent do standardized tests make up for bad class rank?

• mj93mj93 - Posts: 3,601 Senior Member
    Well, unless you have a good hook, Ivy and Ivy comparable schools are out of the question. But I'm sure you'll end up going to a great school. What state do you live in? Do you prefer LACs or Universities?
  • sublimosublimo Registered User Posts: 283 Junior Member
    mostly good state schools( mich, wisconsin, indiana, uc boulder, syracuse)
    and some privates (BC USC, miami)

i should also note that i have a significant upward trend with poor freshman year grades.
  • mj93mj93 - Posts: 3,601 Senior Member
    Those all sound realistic. You'll definitely get into your flagship state U. unless you live in Mich or Cali, but even then you probably will.
    thanks, im worried because some of those schools say like 90% graduated in the top 10%, will not being in the top 10 or 20 percent keep me out??
  • GoldShadowGoldShadow Registered User Posts: 6,160 Senior Member
    If 90% of the incoming class were in the top 10% of their high school class, then yes, not being in the top 10% will almost surely keep you out. Unfortunately, that's why they're called elite or selective.
    not even if my test scores are above the 75%?
  • RootBeerCaesarRootBeerCaesar Registered User Posts: 1,377 Senior Member
    I ****ed too, My class rank is terrible but I'm just as qualified as any Princeton acceptee. I'm in the top 11% of my class, just floating out there, even w/ 2300 SAT 4.0 GPA and national office for extracurriculars along with pwnzor relationship w/ my counseler. The only thing keeping me out? Class rank, because so many morons at my school take all easy classes in order to sneak into the top 10%.

I'm working my butt off now to get a perfect 100.0 GPA so I can sneak back int oteh top 10%, and kick those suckers out who dont deserve to be there.
  • enderkinenderkin Registered User Posts: 1,667 Senior Member
    RootBeerCaesar, you do realize that Princeton's gonna know why you aren't in the top 10%, and will be totally chill with that, right? Because your ranking is messed up, they'll probably just ditch it and measure you based on your classes and grades.
    I suppose, but I just felt in the "heat of the moment" for that post there. The acceptance rate for ivies for ppl not in the top 10% though is like 1-2%, so when I saw that statistic a few days ago I just like felt uber-depressed
  • enderkinenderkin Registered User Posts: 1,667 Senior Member
    Your reason is valid. I don't believe that it will auto-disqualify you.
  • GoldShadowGoldShadow Registered User Posts: 6,160 Senior Member
    The acceptance rate for ivies for ppl not in the top 10% though is like 1-2%, so when I saw that statistic a few days ago I just like felt uber-depressed
    The acceptance rate for most of the ivies drops significantly after the top 10 or so ranked students, let alone top ___% percentiles.

edit: of course it's a bit different for students at highly competitive high schools, where most students are admitted to elite schools (and thus, being in the top 10-30%+ is not a problem at all)
  • -Lurker--Lurker- Registered User Posts: 1,420 Senior Member
    If 90% of the incoming class were in the top 10% of their high school class, then yes, not being in the top 10% will almost surely keep you out. Unfortunately, that's why they're called elite or selective.

That is an incorrect statement. When they say 90% are in the top10% of a class, that is referring to the number of students who actually submitted their class rank. Class rank isn't popular anymore, in fact, in many schools only ~50% submit their rank.
    yea, which still makes it suck for schools that submit class ranks.........only if my school would listen to reason.
  • angelutzaangelutza Registered User Posts: 815 Member
    Some related questions:

1) What if my school does not rank, but I know for sure I have the 2nd GPA? You realize that it's not hard to figure out who has the first 2-3 GPAs from a school class. How strange will it look in my application if I say rank 2, but then I say school doesn't rank?

2) The opposite of the topic question: to what extend does a very high class rank make up for not so great test scores, especially at top schools like Ivies? Am I screwed up with a score around 2000-2100, but near perfect GPA?
  • tokenadulttokenadult Registered User Posts: 17,471 Senior Member
    As I wrote once on the Harvard Forum, "It's never enough background information to ask about grades without identifying the courses too." What kind of courses each high school student is taking makes a HUGE difference to admission officers.
This discussion has been closed.